[MARMAM] Two outreach positions available for cetacean research charity in UK.

Kathy James kathy.james at seawatchfoundation.org.uk
Mon Nov 20 09:02:47 PST 2017

We are pleased to announce that we have two outreach opportunities available
in Cardigan Bay, Wales.

We are looking for a National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistant from 28th
May - 2nd September 2018 and an Education and Outreach Assistant from 16th
July - 21st October 2018. For more details on both, please visit:
http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/internships/.

Please note that the National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistant role is an
opportunity for undergraduates and those new to the field to gain some
experience.

A little more about us.

Sea Watch Foundation

The Sea Watch Foundation is a national marine environmental research charity
that aims to achieve better conservation of whales and dolphins in the seas
around Britain and Ireland, by involving the public in scientific monitoring
of populations and the threats they face. It is the longest-running research
charity in UK focusing upon cetaceans around the British Isles, and
maintains a national sightings database, the largest in Europe. It works
closely with all the UK statutory conservation agencies, and advises UK
government, the UNEP Regional intergovernmental Conservation Agreement -
ASCOBANS, the European Commission, as well as the major conservation
charities and marine industries operating in the UK. At Sea Watch Wales, we
are dedicated to raising awareness, knowledge and conservation of the marine
wildlife of the region.

Research in Cardigan Bay

The purpose of our research here is to monitor the marine mammal populations
inhabiting Cardigan Bay, so as to gain information to aid the conservation
and long-term wellbeing of these animals and the local marine environment.
This is achieved by conducting various projects including:

.         Estimating the abundance and distribution of bottlenose dolphins,
harbour porpoises and grey seals within Cardigan Bay using distance sampling
and opportunistic boat surveys

.         Maintaining and updating a catalogue of photographically
identified bottlenose dolphins in Wales in order to study their abundance,
social structure, movements and life histories.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kathy James

Sightings Officer

Sea Watch Foundation

Aberystwyth Business Hub

21 Bridge Street

Aberystwyth

Ceredigion

SY23 1PZ

Tel: 01970 623906

www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk

<https://www.facebook.com/seawatchfoundation/C:/Users/Sea%20Watch%20Foundati
on/Documents/ADMIN%20MISC> facebook  <https://twitter.com/SeaWatchersUK>
twitter

Ever shop online? Sign up for
<https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/seawatch/> Easy Fundraising and
raise money for the Sea Watch Foundation while you shop at no cost to you!
All your donations directly support our research!