[MARMAM] Alzheimer's disease in dolphins

William Rossiter rossiter at csiwhalesalive.org
Sun Nov 19 05:27:24 PST 2017

Alzheimer's disease in humans and other animals: A consequence of
postreproductive life span and longevity rather than aging.

     Gunn-Moore, Danièlle et al.
     Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association
, Volume 0 , Issue 0 ,
     DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2017.08.014

Abstract

Alzheimer's disease and diabetes mellitus are linked by epidemiology,
genetics, and molecular pathogenesis. They may also be linked by the
remarkable observation that insulin signaling sets the limits on
longevity. In worms, flies, and mice, disrupting insulin signaling
increases life span leading to speculation that caloric restriction
might extend life span in man. It is our contention that man is already
a long-lived organism, specifically with a remarkably high postfertility
life span, and that it is this that results in the prevalence of
Alzheimer's disease and diabetes.
Methods

We review evidence for this hypothesis that carries specific predictions
including that other animals with exceptionally long postreproductive
life span will have increased risk of both diabetes and Alzheimer's disease.
Results and Conclusions

We present novel evidence that Dolphin, like man, an animal with
exceptional longevity, might be one of the very few natural models of
Alzheimer's disease.

Amyloid, GSK-3

William Rossiter
Cetacean Society International