[MARMAM] VOLUNTEER AND INTERN RECRUITMENT FOR THE MONTENEGRO DOLPHIN PROJECT (SOUTH ADRIATIC SEA)

aylin akkaya akkayaaylin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 05:01:19 PST 2017

VOLUNTEER AND INTERN RECRUITMENT FOR THE MONTENEGRO DOLPHIN PROJECT (SOUTH ADRIATIC SEA)

OUR PROJECT

The Montenegro Dolphin Project is a scientific project born from the partnership between the Marine Mammals Research Association (DMAD) and the Natural History Association of Montenegro. Our study is the first long term research study of marine mammals in Montenegrin coastal waters. We aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and behavior, define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major threats. Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of awareness initiatives targeted at the local community, particularly youth.

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is an extremely valuable opportunity for graduates, that wish to gain experience in the marine mammal research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain internship academic credits. It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and MSc thesis. However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose love for dolphins is strong and sincere.

Opportunities are available starting from DECEMBER 2017 for whole year. The minimum duration of the placements is 2 MONTHS, with possible exceptions for skilled candidates.

REQUIREMENTS

-True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and ability to work responsibly;

-Ability to cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment;

-Respect for the organization's rules and willingness to follow standards and procedures;

-Proven experience of working effectively as part of a team;

-Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills;

-High computer literacy and willingness to learn new software applications.

Background in marine biology and previous fieldwork experience are an advantage.

FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including sunrise and sunset hours;

-Performing boat-based surveys at least once a week: boat surveys can be long and often tiring, so you are expected to feel comfortable on board and prepared to handle motion sickness.

-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavior data, as well as environmental and anthropogenic data;

-Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras;

-Data entry and analysis;

-Cataloging and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID studies via Discovery software;
-Raising stakeholder awareness.-Promoting citizenscience activities
TRAINING

The Montenegro Dolphin Project team will provide lectures and field work training as well as constant mentoring.

You will be given the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammals research such as:

-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software;

-Photo-ID and Discovery software;

-Data entry and analysis;

-ArcGIS mapping

PROJECT PARTICIPATION FEE

The positions are unpaid and require a contribution fee of 600 euros / month which includes:
-Accommodation and expenses
-Transportation between the project sites within the country
-Internet access

-Training and lectures

-Scientific support

-Field work

-Use of the equipment

Applicants are responsible for their transportation to/from Montenegro, meals, insurance (all participants should have health and/or travel insurance) and personal expenses.

HOW TO APPLY

Email your CV and cover letter to info at dmad.org.tr or akkayaaylinn at gmail.com (Aylin Akkaya Bas) explaining why you are the perfect asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us! Please mention the PERIOD OF INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!

If you wish to have more info about our work and get to know us better follow our websites:

www.montenegrodolphinproject. org

www.dmad.org.tr

www. naturalhistoryassociationofmon tenegro.weebly.com

Facebook page: