[MARMAM] Internship Openings - Deadline Approaching: Field Response Team Interns on the beautiful island of Oahu, Hawaii

Jon Gelman at Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance jon.gelman at hi-mma.org
Tue May 16 16:16:03 PDT 2017

HAWAII MARINE ANIMAL RESPONSE (Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance):  Announcing internship openings on our Field Response Team on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii.  Deadline for Fall 2017 is July 31, 2017.
ABOUT US

Hawaii Marine Animal Response (HMAR) is the field operations arm of Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance and is Hawaii’s largest non-profit marine species response organization.  We cover approximately 300 miles of coastline on the islands of Oahu and Molokai with our team of over 100 volunteers, interns and staff. We are a US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, conservation and stewardship of Hawaii’s protected marine species. Under a partnership with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), HMAR provides important species preservation, conservation and recovery support for the highly endangered Hawaiian monk seal as well as the endangered and threatened marine turtle species inhabiting Hawaiian waters.

Our Field Response Team spends thousands of hours each year on surveys for animals, or responding to specific sightings, so we may document the condition of specific animals, identify potential health issues and record other data needed for species population and recovery research. We save protected marine animals from deaths and injuries caused by disease, hookings, entanglement in marine debris and potentially dangerous or inappropriate interaction with humans and pets. We engage in animal intervention activity, stranding support and marine animal rescue to enable medical treatment, rehabilitation and release. And we use our significant field response presence to teach sustainable human, pet and fishery behaviors to the public resulting in improved stewardship for these animals to support long-term species preservation and recovery.

INTERN ACTIVITY

— Perform surveys for, or respond to, sightings of Hawaiian monk seals and marine turtles and provide shoreline response to haul-outs or strandings.

— Report on animal behavior, provide animal assessment information, provide photo-documentation and other important data used in protected species research, health management and species recovery efforts.

— Assist in escalated or emergency field response, marine species intervention activity and stranding support.

— Engage with the public to teach sustainable human interaction and fishery behaviors and encourage stewardship of these protected species.

— Participate in dispatch, reporting and data entry activity.

LOCATION

These internship positions are located on the Island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii and require significant travel on the island.

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

--  This is an un-paid internship opportunity.  The intern is responsible for all living and transportation costs associated with the internship.

--  U.S. citizenship or possession of passport and all applicable visas and work permits needed prior to and during the internship period.

--  18 or more years of age.

--  English language fluency and an interest and desire to engage with the public.

--  Must be a degree-seeking student or a graduate of a college or university program associated with one of the following courses of study: marine biology, marine ecology, conservation or a related field.

--  Minimum grade point average (GPA).  For college/university graduates - a 2.7 cumulative GPA prior to the internship. For current students - a 2.7 cumulative GPA prior to and during the internship.

--  College credit: If college credit for this internship is desired it is the intern’s responsibility to obtain necessary approvals from the applicable college or university.

--  Attend mandatory in-field or classroom training sessions as required.

--  Must have access to a reliable car or truck.  Truck preferable.  Motorcycles or scooters will not be sufficient.

--  Possession of a valid driver’s license.

--  Proof of automobile insurance carrying Hawaii minimum liability coverage levels.

--  Access to a cellular phone (4G service required).

--  Access to binoculars with at least a 10X magnification level or access to a digital camera (not smartphone) with at least a 35X zoom lens

--  Ability to walk at least 2 miles over shoreline beach and rocky conditions.

--  Ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds over a distance of 100 feet.

--  Acceptance of Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance Intern Policies, Waivers, Releases and Indemnifications.

--  Background check.

INTERNSHIP ACTIVITY EXPECTATIONS

--  Internship term: minimum of 3 months during the internship period (see below).  Internship may be extended for up to 1 year upon mutual agreement.

--  Hours per week: 35 hours minimum (travel time to training, survey or response locations is not included in minimum hours)

--  The intern must also be able and willing to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays.  The intern is expected to be available for response anywhere on the Island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii.

INTERNSHIP PERIODS AND APPLICATION DEADLINES

— UPCOMING DEADLINE:  Internship period - September 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017, application deadline July 31, 2017.

— Internship period - January 1, 2018 to April 30, 2018, application deadline is October 31, 2017.

— Internship period - May 1, 2018 to August 31, 2018, application deadline is March 31, 2018.

APPLICATION PROCESS

Go to http://www.h-mar.org/apply to complete an online internship application.  In addition to the online application, please send the following via email to info at h-mar.org <mailto:info at hi-mma.org>.

(1) A cover letter of interest, maximum of 1 page, including your availability (i.e. for which internship period you are applying).

(2) Confirmation that you have, or will have, access to a reliable car or truck (truck preferable) during the internship period.

(3) A resume describing your training, experience, relevant skills and GPA (maximum of 2 pages).

(4) Names and contact information for three references.

For more information about Hawaii Marine Animal Response and Hawaii Marine Mammal Alliance, please visit our website at http://www.h-mar.org.