[MARMAM] Sea Life Park Hawaii Internships

Kandace Campbell kandace.campbell at PalaceEntertainment.com
Mon May 1 20:14:19 PDT 2017

Become a Sea Life Park Intern

Sea Life Park Hawai'i offers several types of un-paid internship opportunities near Honolulu, including: Marine Mammal Care & Training, Seabird Care & Rehabilitation, Veterinary Technician, and Educator Experiences. Many interns receive course credit for their internships. We will be happy to work with your college or university to develop a program tied to your academic goals.

Our internships are ideal for students who love marine animals and want hands–on experience working with them. Internships may also involve individual research projects. Those working within the marine mammal departments will also have the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of animal training through a unique phase training
________________________________
program. This allows individuals to familiarize themselves with the training techniques and
________________________________
terminology used at Sea Life Park Hawai'i. All of our animal related internships require our interns to participate in food preparation for the animals of the park, so applicants must be
________________________________
comfortable working with frozen fish.
Internship Opportunities
Experiences

Marketing & Sales Experience
Interns will gain experience and assist the Marketing Manager & Group Sales Manager with the assembly of marketing campaigns and materials and administrative duties for all Sea Life Park local promotions & group events. Marketing interns will assist in the coordination of print advertisements, online advertisements, and photo and content upload to Sea Life Park’s Facebook page when needed. Interns will provide assistance where needed for film shoots, group events, and administrative tasks.

Photo & Video Experience
Interns will gain experience operating both photo and DVD equipment to produce images of guests during their interactive programs and luaus. Interns will capture photos and videos of guests with dolphins, sea lions, sting rays, and even sharks! Interns will have the opportunity to be trained by an experienced team; while learning how to edit photos, videos, and maintain equipment.

Aloha Experience
Aloha interns will get to work primarily with dolphins. These interns have the opportunity to assist with dolphin training, husbandry, interactive programs, and observe some of our younger dolphins learning new behaviors. If your main focus is dolphins and learning about guest interactions, this is the internship for you!

Lagoon Experience
Dolphin Lagoon interns will work with dolphins and sea lions involved in our shows, exhibits, and interactive programs. These interns get to assist in training, husbandry, and interactive sessions with dolphins; as well as learn basic showmanship and show production skills during the daily Sea Life Park Hawai'i Dolphin Lagoon Show. Interns also assist in the daily training, care, and educational presentations with our sea lions and penguins.

Hawaiian Experience
Interns in the Hawaiian Experience get to assist with husbandry, training, and shows involving our dolphins, sea lions, and penguins. Interns may also assist with basic husbandry of our Hawaiian monk seal, and help trainers during our sea lion interactive program. If you are interested in shows, and have a love for sea lions this is the internship for you!

Educator Experience
Education interns will work with our in-house and outreach education programs. In our classroom, interns have the opportunity to assist with program instruction and curriculum development at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Interns also participate in park activities, the development of educational and interactive displays, and community programs. This experience allows interns to participate in a wide variety of activities, as well as learn all of what Sea Life Park Hawaii has to offer.

Veterinary Technician Experience
Interns will work with a large variety of marine mammals, as well as penguins, sea turtles, reef fish, and seabirds. In our veterinary department, interns assist our staff with the husbandry and treatment of all animals housed in the park. Interns also help with lab procedures, sample processing, and record keeping.

Wings Experience
Interns work with a large variety of healthy and rehabilitating seabirds. At our Seabird Sanctuary, interns assist in the husbandry and treatment of non-releasable species of seabirds. At our Seabird Rehabilitation Center, interns help our veterinary staff with seabird medical treatments, husbandry, and reintroduction into the wild.

Internship Program Candidate Requirements

Candidates must:
1.    Be at least 18 years of age
2.    Be enrolled in or have graduated from a university or college
3.    Commit to the full internship time period
4.    Be able to financially support her or himself (Internships are un-paid, but lunches are included daily).
5.    Have strong swimming skills and be physically able to work in in-water interactive programs with marine mammals and other species
6.    Be comfortable with public speaking
7.    Be comfortable handling frozen fish

Accepted applicants must:
1.    Attend all required seminars and training courses
2.    Commit to a minimum of 40 hours per week (including nights and weekends)
3.    Be able to lift 50lbs.

Applications Submissions

Application Packets must include:
1.    Application
2.    Two letters of recommendation
3.    College transcript(s) – an unofficial copy is fine
4.    Statement of interest
5.    CV or resume

Statement of Interest
Please include a 1–2 page typed statement of interest that explains your reasons for applying, your background information, your interests, your academic and field related experiences, and your personal goals for the Sea Life Park Hawai'i internship.

Submission Instructions
To apply for a Sea Life Park Hawai'i Internship Program, download and complete the application below, attach all required materials, and mail to the address below or to:
education at sealifeparkhawaii.com <mailto:education at sealifeparkhawaii.com> .
Download Internship application<http://www.sealifeparkhawaii.com/sites/sealife.com/files/2017%20Intern%20Application1.pdf>

Education Supervisor
Sea Life Park Hawai'i
41-202 Kalaniana'ole Highway #7
Waimanalo, Hawai'i 96795

**Be sure to save a copy of your application. Your application will not be processed unless your transcripts, letters of recommendation, resume, and statement of interest are included. Due to the high number of applicants, you may not be accepted into your first internship choice.

Internship Availability Dates

Period

Dates

Application Deadline

Fall 2017

August 8, 2017-January 9, 2018

May 12, 2017

Respectfully,

Kandace Campbell
Education Supervisor
Sea Life Park Hawaii
41-202 Kalanianaole Hwy #7
Waimanalo, Hawaii 96795

Office: 808.259.2512
Fax. 808.259.7373
Email: kandace.campbell at sealifeparkhawaii.com<mailto:kandace.campbell at sealifeparkhawaii.com>
[HeartDolphinLogo]
P E mālama `āina ma mua o kau pa`i `ana i kēia leka uila.
Care for the land before you print this electronic message.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE (To Palace employees and outside parties):  This email, and any attachment to it, contains attorney-client privileged and/or confidential business information intended only for the use of the intended recipient of this email.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading, using, or disseminating this email, or any attachment to it, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and then delete the original and any copies of this email, and any attachments to it, from your system.  If you are a Palace Entertainment employee, this email may not be disseminated or discussed with anyone outside of Company management without the consent of the General Counsel.  Thank you.