[MARMAM] New paper on the use of drones for California sea lion counting and categorization

Mario A. Pardo biomario at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 08:54:50 PDT 2017

Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to announce the recent
publication of our note in Marine Mammal Science:

Adame, K., M.A. Pardo, C. Salvadeo, E. Beier, F. Elorriaga-Verplancken
(2017) Detectability and categorization of California sea lions using an
unmanned aerial vehicle. Marine Mammal Science. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12403.

The study provides functions for correcting the abundance estimations of
California sea lions made from boat-based counts, by comparing them with
those made from photographs taken by a drone. It also highlights the
categorization bias of the traditional counting method in the Gulf of
California.

You can get the PDF reprint of the note directly from the journal's site
at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mms.12403, or upon personal request to the
authors at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313903846_Detectability_and_categorization_of_California_sea_lions_using_an_unmanned_aerial_vehicle

Kind regards,

Mario A. Pardo
CICESE - Unidad La Paz
CONACYT Research Fellow
Miraflores 334, La Paz, BCS 23050, Mexico
Phone: +52(612)1213031 Ext. 28116