[MARMAM] New paper on finescale temporal variation between bottlenose dolphin and harbour porpoise

Hanna Nuuttila hannanuuttila at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 08:37:31 PDT 2017

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Apologies for the delay of announcing this paper,
>
> on behalf of my co-authors I am happy to announce the publication of our
recent paper:

> Nuuttila, H.K., Courtene-Jones, W., Baulch, S. Simon, M and Evans,
P.G.H. Don’t forget the porpoise: acoustic monitoring reveals fine scale
temporal variation between bottlenose dolphin and harbour porpoise in
Cardigan Bay SAC. Mar Biol (2017) 164: 50. doi:10.1007/s00227-017-3081-5

> Abstract:
> Populations of bottlenose dolphin and harbour porpoise inhabit Cardigan
Bay, which was designated a Special Area of Conservation (SAC), with
bottlenose dolphin listed as a primary feature for its conservation status.
Understanding the abundance, distribution and habitat use of species is
fundamental for conservation and the implementation of management.
Bottlenose dolphin and harbour porpoise usage of feeding sites within
Cardigan Bay SAC was examined using passive acoustic monitoring. Acoustic
detections recorded with calibrated T-PODs (acoustic data loggers)
indicated harbour porpoise to be present year round and in greater relative
abundance than bottlenose dolphin. Fine-scale temporal partitioning between
the species occurred at three levels: (1) seasonal differences, consistent
between years, with porpoise detections peaking in winter months and
dolphin detections in summer months; (2) diel variation, consistent across
sites, seasons and years, with porpoise detections highest at night and
dolphin detections highest shortly after sunrise; and (3) tidal variation
was observed with peak dolphin detections occurring during ebb at the
middle of the tidal cycle and before low tide, whereas harbour porpoise
detections were highest at slack water, during and after high water with a
secondary peak recorded during and after low water. General Additive Models
(GAMs) were applied to better understand the effects of each covariate. The
reported abundance and distribution of the two species, along with the
temporal variation observed, have implications for the design and
management of protected areas. Currently, in the UK, no SACs have been
formally designated for harbour porpoise while three exist for bottlenose
dolphins. Here, we demonstrate a need for increased protection and
species-specific mitigation measures for harbour porpoise.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00227-017-3081-5