[MARMAM] Seeking assistants for the Panglao Sustainable Wildlife Watching Project
daniellamhanf at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 16:25:42 PDT 2017
Large Marine Vertebrate Research Institute Philippines (LAMAVE) is seeking assistants for the Panglao Sustainable Wildlife Watching Project. Panglao is situated in the Bohol Sea, an area of high biodiversity where many deep water cetacean species are encountered close to the coast. With tourist numbers rapidly increasing, the purpose of this project is to collect data that will assist in the development of more sustainable wildlife watching practices.
Field research will focus on investigating the interaction between tour boats and spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris). Data on other cetaceans, sea turtles and whale sharks (through citizen science) will also be gathered. Collecting quantitative data to describe the perceptions of tour operators and visitors are also important facets of this project.
This project presents a unique learning opportunity for assistants. As well as being involved in field surveys they will also be exposed to social science and stakeholder engagement techniques – skills that are highly sought after in conservation and environmental management sectors.
Key duties will include
· Boat-based data collection of dolphin behaviour and tourist vessel activity.
· Collection of quantitative visitor survey data.
· Data entry.
· Assisting in the collection and processing of whale shark citizen science sighting data.
· Contribution to social media (e.g. monthly blog).
We are seeking assistants for a three month period, commencing as soon as possible. Being a non-profit NGO, we ask for assistants to pay a minimal monthly contribution that helps to cover living expenses. Upon expression of interest, a detailed volunteer pack with information will be sent .
· A good attitude.
· Able to collect and transcribe data whilst onboard a boat.
· Able to work independently and in a team.
· Available to stay for three months, from late March 2017.
· Comfortable speaking with tourists and locals.
· Comfortable living in a shared house with basic amenities.
· Excellent eyesight.
· Physically fit and mentally focused enough to spend several hours a day on a boat and in the water, and then complete data entry to a high standard.
· Proficient in English.
· Strong interest in conservation biology, social science and environmental management.
· A degree in marine science, social science, environmental management or similar.
· Biological field research experience.
There may also be scope to collect in-water photo-ID and distribution data of green sea turtles. For this reason, excellent swimming/snorkelling skills are also required.
To apply for a position please email your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would like to volunteer for this particular project to volunteer at lamave.org, using ‘Panglao Project’ in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Primary Investigator, Large Marine Vertebrate Research Institute Philippines
Principal Consultant / Scientist, Stenella Marine & Social Science
daniella at stenella.com.au
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM