[MARMAM] Bioacoustic Internship at University of South Carolina Beaufort

MONTIE, ERIC EMONTIE at uscb.edu
Tue Jun 27 16:12:15 PDT 2017

2017-2018 USCB Bioacoustic Research Experience

Need: One marine bioacoustic intern needed for 2017-2018.

Stipend and housing: A $600 monthly stipend is included. In addition, the internship provides housing with all utilities (electric, water, and internet).

Position Information:  40 hrs per week; Monday through Friday. Position is for 6 months minimum starting in August 2017. Start data is negotiable but candidates who can start August 1st, 2017 are preferred. Position may be extended for another 6 months pending performance and funding.

Location: This position is located at the University of South Carolina Beaufort at the Bluffton campus. Bluffton, SC is located only 20 minutes from Hilton Head Island, SC. The campus is 10 minutes from the May River and 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean.

About Our Lab: Our research lab strives to understand the sensory and neurobiology of marine organisms. Specifically, we are interested in brain architecture, hearing of fish and marine mammals, and acoustic communication of aquatic vertebrates. The more applied part of our research program focuses on studies that investigate how natural and man-made stressors impact the brain, hearing, and acoustic communication. These stressors include man-made chemicals, harmful algal blooms, noise pollution, and climate change. Much of our current funding is focused on soundscape ecology and the impacts of noise pollution on marine organisms. Please see the following website for more information: http://www.uscb.edu/montie and check out our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MarineNeuroLabAtUSCB/.

Duties Include:
(1) Estuarine soundscape research.
(2) Sound production studies with fish and bottlenose dolphins.
(3) Impacts of dredging on marine organisms.
(4) Active acoustics to study fish spawning aggregations.
(5) Juvenile fish sampling using seine nets.
(6) Bottlenose dolphin abundance, distribution, and photo-identification.
(7) Participation in dolphin research excursions aboard an ecotourism boat.

The internship will focus on analyzing and interpreting previously collected acoustic data using our DSG-Ocean Recorders.  The intern will participate in juvenile fish sampling through the use of seine nets. In addition, the intern will participate in one field trip per week aboard an ecotourism vessel performing bottlenose dolphin abundance and photo-ID surveys.  There will be some opportunities for additional field work, including dolphin surveys, deployment and retrieval of stationary and towed acoustic recorders, and participation in active acoustic surveys.

Qualifications: The internship is designed for undergraduates who have recently graduated and are interested in gaining experience in marine bioacoustics. Experience with Adobe Audition, Excel, and MATLAB preferred.  Students in computational science majors are urged to apply.  Boat experience is preferred but not mandatory.  Evidence of good communication skills through interaction with public is also a bonus.  Good organizational and writing skills are a necessity. Pending performance, the intern has the option to apply to the College of Charleston Graduate Program in Marine Biology since Dr. Montie is an adjunct and can serve as a primary adviser.

How to Apply: Please email a C.V. with GPA, a writing sample, and two reference contacts to Dr. Eric Montie (emontie at uscb.edu<mailto:emontie at uscb.edu>).  If you have questions concerning the position, please email or phone (843) 208-8107.

Eric W. Montie
Associate Professor of Biology
Department of Natural Sciences
University of South Carolina Beaufort