[MARMAM] New publication: female reproductive parameters of Mediterranean bottlenose dolphin

Alessia Rossi arossi at biologia.unipi.it
Wed Jun 14 06:26:11 PDT 2017

Dear MARMAM subscribers,
My co-authors and I are pleased to share with you our recent
publication:

Alessia Rossi, Ester Scordamaglia, Michela Bellingeri, Guido Gnone,
Silvio Nuti, Francesca Salvioli, Piero Manfredi, Giovanni Santangelo.
(2017). Demography of the bottlenose dolphin Tursiops truncatus
(Mammalia: Delphinidae) in the Eastern Ligurian Sea (NW Mediterranean):
quantification of female reproductive parameters. The European
Zoological Journal. 84(1): 294-302.
https://doi.org/10.1080/24750263.2017.1334839

Abstract:
The reproductive histories of 41 adult bottlenose dolphin females were
analysed using photo-identification data collected between 2006 and 2014
in four sub-areas of the eastern Ligurian Sea (northwestMediterranean).
The Rapallo sub-area revealed the highest (highly significant) frequency
of encounters (per unit effort) of reproductive females in association
with young individuals, therefore emerging as a candidate nursery area
in the region. The estimated fertility rate of adult females ranged
between 290 and 407 births per 1000 individuals per year, higher than
that of other known bottlenose dolphin populations, with a calving
interval between 2.45 and 3.5 years. These results will be useful for
projecting future trends of this (sub)population.

This paper is open source and is accessed through the link:
https://doi.org/10.1080/24750263.2017.1334839
For any problems, do not hesitate to contact me; I will be glad to send
you a pdf copy.
Kind regards
Alessia Rossi

--
PhD Alessia Rossi
Biology Department (Zoology - Animal Ecology) - Demography and