[MARMAM] New publication on the social structure and home range of bottlenose dolphins around Sein Island (Brittany, France, North-East Atlantic)

Marie Louis MarieLouis17 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 11 11:54:48 PDT 2017

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following note:

Louis M., Buanic M., Lefeuvre C., Le Nilliot P., Ridoux V. and Spitz J. 2017. Strong bonds and small home range in a resident bottlenose dolphin community in a Marine Protected Area (Brittany, France, North-East Atlantic). Marine Mammal Science. (doi: 10.1111/mms.12419).

Short summary:
Environmental variation such as the availability of suitable habitat or food resources may shape social variability in terrestrial and marine mammals. Bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus, usually form temporary associations with other individuals but they may have, in some populations, a few long-term companions. Our study focused on a small bottlenose dolphin community, around Sein Island, Brittany, France in the Iroise Sea Marine Protected area. The objective of the study was to update census size, investigate social structure, and estimate the home range of this community using photo-identification data collected from August 2014 to October 2015. The mean association index of 0.5 (SD = 0.27) in this community of 31 dolphins, including 24 adults, is one of the highest ever recorded. We suggest that this uncommon social structure with strong associations among individuals may be the result of a combination of a small group size, low trophic competition, and environmental conditions. The core area of 5.6km² used by the dolphins was one of the smallest recorded, and it is thus essential to protect their habitat.

The article can be download from:  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12419/full or you can email me for a copy.

Best wishes,

Marie