[MARMAM] New Publication : Identifying prey items from New Zealand fur seal (Arctocephalus forsteri) faeces using massive parallel sequencing

Arsalan Emami-Khoyi arsalan at pobox.com
Sat Jun 3 00:52:38 PDT 2017

Dear  MARMAM Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the
following article in the Journal of Conservation Genetics Resources :
*I**dentifying prey items from New Zealand fur seal (**Arctocephalus
forsteri**) faeces using massive parallel sequencing**Arsalan Emami-Khoyi** **• **David A. Hartley** **• **Adrian M.
Paterson** **• **Laura J. Boren** **• **Robert H. Cruickshank** **•
**James G. Ross** **• **Elaine C. Murphy** **• **Terry-Ann Else**5**Abstract *

*The New Zealand fur seal (**Arctocephalus forsteri**) is one of many
pinniped species that has shown a remarkable recovery from the brink of
extinction after cessation of commercial sealing during the eighteenth
and nineteenth centuries. It is commonly believed that this species
competes with recreational and commercial fish- eries. We identified
prey items using massive parallel sequencing from New Zealand fur seal
faecal samples that were collected throughout the species distribution.
The data support generalist feeding behaviour for this species. The diet
composition showed significant geographical and inter-seasonal
variation. As many as 46 species of fish and 18 species of cephalopod
were identified from a single colony. The data suggest cartilaginous
species (sharks, rays, and skates) constitute an important part of the
New Zealand fur seal diet. Approximately 10 % of the species identified
in the seal diet were of significant commercial value, which indicates
some qualitative food competition between New Zealand fur seals and
commercial fisheries in exploiting marine spec**ies.*

The full text is available at  the following address or upon direct
request to the first author (arsalan at pobox.com)* : **https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12686-016-0560-9*

Regards

Arsalan Emami-Khoyi
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Wildlife Genomics
University of Johannesburg_Center for Ecological Genomics and Wildlife
ConservationAuckland Park 2006
South Africa
Email : Arsalane at uj.ac.za
Phone :+27 (0)11 559 3373