[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Rescue and Response Internship
scardinah at TMMC.org
Thu Jul 27 17:36:40 PDT 2017
Marine Mammal Rescue and Response Internship
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Road, Sausalito, CA 94965
The Rescue and Response team at The Marine Mammal Center is seeking applicants for their fall Rescue and Response Internship working primarily with stranded pinnipeds, as well as occasional cetaceans and sea otters. The Rescue and Response Internship is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are interested in increasing their experience and knowledge of marine mammals and the Marine Mammal Stranding Network.
• Gain valuable professional development experience while learning the rescue and response operations one of the leading marine mammal hospitals
• Work in an organization alongside experts in veterinary medicine, research, and ocean conservation
• Learn marine mammal rehabilitation while gaining husbandry experience working with the seal and sea lion patients
• Shadow veterinary staff and sit in on patient rounds
• Attend training classes, learning more about rescue and response methods as well as the rehabilitation care for pinnipeds
• Attend guest and staff research presentations by leading marine mammal scientists and veterinarians in the field
• Participate in an animal necropsy
• Network with experts in the field of marine mammals
• Develop interpersonal and team leadership skills working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
• Answer and triage the animal rescue hotline
• Coordinate rescue and triage responses throughout the Center’s over 600-mile California rescue range
• Participate in marine mammal rescues, releases and other field responses as available
• Join an animal care crew providing animal husbandry to the patients (one day a week)
• Support data entry and tracking of the pinniped patients
• Maintain rescue equipment
• Other projects as assigned
• All applicants must be 21 years of age or older, with an avid interest in marine biology, zoology, general biology, policy or a related field.
• Interns are required to pass a background check and a motor vehicle check prior to acceptance into the internship.
• Applicants should demonstrate excellent communication skills and have practical computer knowledge with programs such as Word, Access, and Excel.
• This internship position involves a fair amount of physical activity, such as lifting, restraining and moving animals.
• If the intern intends to receive university credit for their internship, they are responsible for making all arrangements with their educational institution.
The internship runs from August 30 – December 6. Interns must be able to work for a minimum of 3 months, 5 days a week, at least 40 hours per week. Work schedule must be flexible and may include weekends and holidays. Start and ends dates are slightly flexible.
This is an unpaid internship. Housing accommodations are available for the duration of the internship. Applicants are responsible for their own transportation. Unfortunately, we are unable to host international applicants at this time.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by following this link: https://tmmc.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0m92m/
The deadline to apply is August 6, 2017.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM