[MARMAM] SMM Workshop: PAM of marine mammals

Jens Koblitz Jens.Koblitz at bioacousticsnetwork.org
Wed Jul 12 16:07:57 PDT 2017

Dear MarMam and ECS Communities,

We like to announce a workshop titled: "Passive Acoustic Monitoring
(PAM) of marine mammals" at the upcoming 22nd Biennial Conference of the
Marine Mammal Society. This two day workshop will take place on Saturday
28th and Sunday 29th of October.

Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) has now been used in several large
projects that have produced results that could not be achieved by other
methods within realistic budgets, but it is a young method with multiple
challenges. This workshop aims to focus on all issues that impact
efforts to use PAM of all marine mammals and present recently finished
and ongoing projects. Both, static acoustic monitoring as well as towed
systems will be presented and three taxa, namely toothed whales, baleen
whales and pinnipeds are covered.

In a novel format, we will combine tutorials on equipment, detectors,
classifiers and density estimation with invited talks by experts in the
field and some contributed presentations.

Topics of the workshop will include:

1. Available instruments, methods of data analysis and comparison thereof
2. Performance of classifiers including false positive rates, noise
impacts, and time costs
3. Species identification
4. Detection functions, including cue rates, detectability
5. Density estimates, comparability with other methods
6. Large PAM projects, project design, long-term monitoring and MPAs,
logistics, managing, analyzing and presenting large date sets
7. Future developments

Please register via the conference website:
http://www.smmconference.org/WorkshopDescriptions

We have limited space for few contributed presentations and welcome
submission of abstracts for short presentations on any of the topics
covered in this workshop. Please e-mail Jens Koblitz at
Jens.Koblitz at bioacousticsnetwork.org if you are interested in
presennting at this workshop.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Halifax,

Marie Roch, Danielle Harris and Jens Koblitz

--
Jens C. Koblitz

BioAcousticsNetwork

Eichenallee 32 a