[MARMAM] Sea Otter Research Internship
AJohnson at mbayaq.org
Fri Jul 7 11:29:05 PDT 2017
Sea Otter Research and Conservation Research Intern
The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Sea Otter Research and Conservation program is seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals to assist staff with field observations and data collection of wild sea otters along the Monterey Peninsula of coastal California.
Project responsibilities include, but are not limited to, data collection in the field from shore and occasionally on a small boat using radio telemetry equipment and making visual observations with spotting scopes. Interns will record daily re-sights, movement patterns, foraging observations and activity budget data on marked individual wild sea otters.
Qualified applicants must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently without direct supervision, and must have good communication skills.
* At least 18 years of age
* Current undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university
* Must be a student during the term immediately preceding the internship
* Must submit a resume of courses and/or experience related to the position
* Must provide a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation from college/university professors or faculty staff
* 3.0 Minimum cumulative GPA
* 6-month commitment of 24 hours each week
* Valid driver's license
* Personal vehicle to use while in the field
* Cell phone
* Willingness to perform project task assignments on a flexible schedule, including weekends and late evenings
* Previous experience in a field work setting or on behavioral data collection
* Strong interest in and awareness of animal behavior, natural history and marine science/ecology
* Willingness to stand out in the elements for up to 6 hours at a time
* Attention to detail
* Able to lift up to 50 pounds and walk short distance over hilly terrain
* Ability to multi-task
* Good organizational skills
* Interpersonal skills and proven ability to work effectively with colleagues
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access software
* Proficiency with SharePoint a plus but not necessary
* Boat handling skills appreciated but not necessary
* Experience in behavioral observations a plus
All internship opportunities are Unpaid or STEM Internships (STEM may include funding provided through your educational institution).
College credit may be available. Please refer to your College/University's student services division.
To apply for this internship, please navigate to this link<https://montereybayaquarium.snaphire.com/jobdetails?ajid=NUM28> or visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium's job page<http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/about/job-opportunities>.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM