[MARMAM] Compound Specific Stable Isotope Workshop - 22nd Biennial Conference

Luis Huckstadt lahuckst at ucsc.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:19:02 PDT 2017

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce we will be running hosting a one day workshop
entitled  "Application and validation of compound-specific stable isotope
analysis in studies of marine mammal ecology and eco-physiology" at the
upcoming 22nd Biennial Conference of the Marine Mammal Society on Saturday,
October 28th from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Compound-specific stable isotope analysis (CSIA) of amino and fatty acids
offers advantages over traditional analysis of bulk tissues. CSIA is a
potentially powerful tool to study

marine mammal eco-physiology, movement, and foraging ecology. While this
approach has been validated in numerous studies of invertebrates and
fishes, application of CSIA to study marine mammal ecology and
eco-physiology is relatively under-utilized. Building on two workshops held
prior to the 2015 SMM biennial conference in San Francisco, we propose a
1-day workshop on this topic and invite submission of abstracts from
researchers who have used CSIA to study any aspect of marine mammal ecology
(e.g. foraging, migration, distribution), or who have conducted validation
studies with more traditional bulk tissue isotope analysis to help
clarify how this method can be applied in both wild and captive settings.
The workshop will consist of informal talks and presentations of data, and
group discussions of uncertainties and limitations that need to be
addressed through further study. In particular, students are invited to
submit proposals for talks and poster presentations; we will host a small
poster session if there is enough interest.

Cost: $80 (Before July 13th)

         $90 (After July 13th)

Registration for the workshop should be done through the conference website
(https://www.xcdsystem.com/smm/member/index.cfm)

Kind regards,

Cory Matthews

Seth Newsome