[MARMAM] New paper on encounters of Cuvier’s beaked whales in Russia

Сергей Рязанов sdryazanov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 17:26:29 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce new paper about encounters of
Cuvier’s beaked whales in Russia:

Fomin S.V., Ryazanov S.D., Usatov I.A., Burkanov V.N. 2017. Encounters with
the Cuvier’s beaked whale, Ziphius cavirostris Cuvier, 1823 (Cetacea:
Ziphiidae), in waters off eastern Kamchatka and the Commander Islands //
Russian Journal of Marine Biology 43(3):245-248

Abstract: The biology of the Cuvier’s beaked whale, Ziphius cavirostris
Cuvier, 1823, in Russian waters remains almost unstudied. The species is
encountered rarely elsewhere in the seas of Russia, except for the waters
off the Commander Islands. Currently, some researchers express doubt about
the accuracy of the known Cuvier’s beaked whale records in the region. This
report provides information on the confirmed encounters with Cuvier’s
beaked whale off the Commander Islands and eastern Kamchatka.

The paper can be found (not for free) at:https://link.springer.com/a
rticle/10.1134/S106307401703004X
But I will be glad to send you a pdf copy by e-mail.
My e-mail: ryazanovssl at ya.ru
Yours faithfully.
Sergey Ryazanov,
V.I.Il’ichev Pacific Oceanological Institute
Far Eastern Branch, Russian Academy of Science
43, Baltiyskaya St., Vladivostok,690041, Russia