[MARMAM] New publication on a Weddell seal killing a Gentoo penguin at the Antarctic Peninsula

Annette Bombosch annette.bombosch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:37:31 PST 2017

Dear All,

we are pleased to announce the publication of the following short note
in Polar Biology:

Bombosch, A. & Solovyev, B. 2017. “Weddell seal (/Leptonychotes
weddellii)/ killing Gentoo Penguin (/Pygoscelis papua/) at Neko Harbour,
Antarctic Peninsula”. Polar Biology. Doi:10.1007/s00300-016-2070-3

_Abstract: _
Weddell seals (/Leptonychotes weddellii/) typically prey on fish,
cephalopods, and invertebrates. While other seal species also include
penguins as part of their regular diet, such as leopard seals, this
behavior seems unusual for Weddell seals. Here, we describe an
opportunistic observation of a Weddell seal attacking and killing a
Gentoo Penguin (/Pygoscelis papua/) at Neko Harbour, Antarctic
Peninsula. This behavior has rarely been observed and published. Yet, we
collected several additional anecdotal observations from various regions
around Antarctica, indicating that this behavior might be more common
than previously assumed, challenging our current understanding of
Weddell seal foraging ecology.

The note is available online here:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00300-016-2070-3

Kind Regards