[MARMAM] LAST MINUTE OPENING for Internships in CIIMAR-Madeira, Portugal

Rita Ferreira ritabferreira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 07:20:48 PST 2017

We have a LAST MINUTE OPENING for 2 volunteer positions for the period of
February & March to help with our marine mammals’ research project based in
Madeira Island, Portugal.

Internship Details:

The interns will be enrolled in data collection on board ferries and naval
boats in two different routes. These positions are unpaid but we encourage
candidates to seek grants where we can post as host institution. Priority
will be given to those who can commit full time. Only European volunteers
are accepted, for insurance reasons.

Internship description:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and
data processing and analysis;
- Sea surveys Madeira-Porto Santo and Madeira-Selvagens;
- Educational activities in local schools (when possible);
- Data processing and analysis;
- Free time to visit Madeira, Porto Santo and Selvagens.
- Accident insurances

Successful applicants should possess or be enrolled in a BS or MS course in
biology or related, be reliable, dedicated, adaptable and patient, as this
work is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive days of work at
sea. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing
a career in marine mammal research, this is an excellent opportunity to
learn and gain experience at sea.

If you are interested in interning with CIIMAR-Madeira, please send a CV
and a letter of interest to ana.dinis at ciimarmadeira.org or
rita.ferreira at oom.arditi.pt as soon as possible.

CIIMAR-Madeira is a private, non-profit organization based in Madeira
Island, Portugal. It is a unique organization specialized on insular
environments, which is currently involved in the development of fundamental
and applied scientific research, both in atmospheric and marine sciences.
For more information about CIIMAR-Madeira and our research please visit
http://home.ciimarmadeira.org/

Thank you,

Rita Ferreira, MsC
CIIMAR-Madeira,