[MARMAM] Volunteer position 2017 Cetacealab

CetaceaLab cetacealab at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 06:39:53 PST 2017

Cetacea Lab is a whale research facility located along the remote north
coast of British Columbia, Canada. We are now accepting applications for
the 2017 field season from mid-May until the end of September. All
positions are for 1 to 2 month duration. There is a weekly fee for food.
These are volunteer/intern positions to help with the collection of data on
the habitat use and abundance of northern resident/transient killer whales,
humpback and fin whales. Both the lab and out camp are located in areas of
high abundance of all 3 species. Due to our remote location applicants need
to be in good physical condition, able to participate with the daily
routine of living off the grid and comfortable sleeping in a tent in the
wilderness of BC. There is a lot of hard physical work that will come with
this position, you must be fit without any physical injuries. There are no
roads, very limited Internet access, and power is completely off the grid.

-       Daily shifts involve scanning for whales, documenting all sightings
and when possible to take identification pictures of whales

-       Listening and recording all whale vocalizations that are
transmitted to the lab facility from our network of hydrophone stations

-       Data entry from land based and marine vessel based surveys

-       Identification work of all whales from photographs taken in the
field

-       There will also be a lot of heavy lifting and moving over uneven
rocky terrain, chopping wood ( our only source of heat) and assistance with
the physical maintenance of the hydrophone stations.

-       Experience with carpentry, electronics, computers, acoustic
software programs and environmental communications would be a valuable
asset. Interested applicants should send a letter describing why they would
like to join our team, CV and letter of reference to
cetacealab at gmail.com. References will
be contacted. More information about our research can be found at
www.forwhales.org

All the Best,

Hermann Meuter