[MARMAM] Wild Dolphin Swim-With Program Community Outreach Request

Alicia Amerson alicia.amerson at worldcetaceanalliance.org
Tue Feb 21 13:39:33 PST 2017

Dear MARMAM Community,

The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is reaching out to the marine mammal
scientific community to find papers, PhD, Master’s theses, posters,
conference material, or other reports regarding wild dolphin and whale
swim-with programs worldwide.

As an organization we have diligently worked with multiple governments,
tourism operators, NGOs, and scientists interested in conducting
responsible and sustainable whale and dolphin tourism. Through our efforts
- including forming a whale-watching working group - we have collected data
on global wild swim-with programs, but we also realize that not everyone
get’s around to publishing their work, but their work it is still vital for
conservation. Click here to see our current reference list.
<http://worldcetaceanalliance.org/2016/02/05/dolphin-swim-reference/>

Over the next few months we are conducting an intense investigation into
wild whale and dolphin swim-with programs around the world. We are looking
for the best available science to determine if a global best practice guide
is achievable. Through the investigation we want to determine if
responsible swim-with programs are realistic and if so how can an operator
use standards to be responsibly minded.  And we need your help.

We would like to have information on wild dolphin and whale swim-with
programs that meet the following criteria:

   -

   Sites that scientific evidence shows that harassment exists without
   standards
   -

   Sites that scientific evidence shows that harassment persists with
   standard practices in place
   -

   Sites that scientific evidence does not show harassment exists
   with/without standards
   -

   Sites where expanded industry demand, infrastructure, and programs exist
   -

   Information on sites where programs have been banned
   -

   Sites where science has provided recommendations regarding best
   practices and the results of implementing these practices

We want to collaborate and give a voice to all of those who are researching
this industry and work in it.

Please note: We plan to send out a questionnaire regarding wild dolphin and
whale swim-with programs in the near-future.

If you want to participate in or contribute to this effort please contact
alicia.amerson at worldcetaceanalliance.org. Also please ask your colleagues
that conduct research in the industry to send in their information.

Thank you for your participation,

Alicia Amerson

--

Alicia Amerson

Whale Watch Researcher

*World Cetacean Alliance *

*T *+44 (0)1273 355011 <+44%201273%20355011>

*E *alicia.amerson at worldcetaceanalliance.org*   W *worldcetaceanalliance.org

*W2 *whaleheritagesites.org

*A *Studio 3, Lower Promenade, Madeira Drive, Brighton, BN2 1ET, UK

The WCA is proud to be a finalist at the 2016 World Responsible Tourism
Awards

<http://worldcetaceanalliance.org/2016/09/08/world-responsible-tourism-awards-finalist/>

*The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is a Partnership of over 70 non-profit
organisations, whale and dolphin watching tour operators and individuals in
35 countries worldwide working collaboratively to protect cetaceans and
their habitats. World Cetacean Alliance, the Secretariat to the
Partnership, is a UK registered Charity no. 1160484. *