[MARMAM] New publication on Delphinidae taxonomy in Australian waters, with focus on Tursiops spp.

Maria Jedensjö m_jedensjo at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:03:15 PST 2017

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the following publication in Marine Mammal Science: Cranial morphology and taxonomic resolution of some dolphin taxa (Delphinidae) in Australian waters, with a focus on the genus Tursiops.

Abstract
Phylogenetic relationships in the family Delphinidae have been widely debated. We examined 347 skulls of Tursiops, Stenella, Delphinus, Steno, Lagenodelphis, and Sousa in order to resolve the phylogenetic position of Australian species of Tursiops. Five Tursiops type specimens were included. Cranial morphology was described using 2-dimensional (2-D) and 3-dimensional geometric morphometrics (3-GM), counts and categorical data. Analyses showed a clear morphological separation of Tursiops, including type specimens, from other genera. The three Stenella species did not cluster together. Stenella attenuata clustered with Delphinus delphis, and Stenella coeruleoalba with Lagenodelphis hosei. Length and width of the skull and rostrum were important discriminators in both methods. For 3-D data, round vs. angular posterior skull shape distinguished some genera. Taxa that overlapped in the multivariate analyses had different mean tooth counts. Our study challenges genetic studies that identified Tursiops as polyphyletic, with T. aduncus closer to S. attenuata.

The full citation is Jedensjö, M., Kemper, C.M. and Krützen, M., 2017. Cranial morphology and taxonomic resolution of some dolphin taxa (Delphinidae) in Australian waters, with a focus on the genus Tursiops. Marine Mammal Science, 33(1), pp.187-205. A full copy of the manuscript can be downloaded from https://www.marinemammalscience.org/journal/, or a pdf can be emailed upon request from Maria (m_jedensjo at hotmail.com).

Kind regards,
Maria Jedensjö (on behaf of all co-authors)

[https://www.marinemammalscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/journal.jpg]<https://www.marinemammalscience.org/journal/>

Journal - Society for Marine Mammalogy<https://www.marinemammalscience.org/journal/>
www.marinemammalscience.org
Join us Now's the time, become a member today Sign up. As a member, you'll get: Subscription to the Marine Mammal Science journal; Discounted conference rates