[MARMAM] New publication: Acoustic differentiation between two types of short-finned pilot whale in the Pacific Ocean

Amy Van Cise avancise at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 09:05:14 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I'm happy to announce the publication of the
following paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America:

Van Cise AM, Roch MA, Baird RW, Aran Mooney T, Barlow J (2017) *Acoustic
differentiation of Shiho- and Naisa-type short-finned pilot whales in the
Pacific Ocean.* The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 141,
737–748. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4974858

Abstract
Divergence in acoustic signals used by different populations of marine
mammals can be caused by a variety of environmental, hereditary, or social
factors, and can indicate isolation between those populations. Two types of
genetically and morphologically distinct short-finned pilot whales, called
the Naisa- and Shiho-types when first described off Japan, have been
identified in the Pacific Ocean. Acoustic differentiation between these
types would support their designation as sub-species or species, and
improve the understanding of their distribution in areas where genetic
samples are difficult to obtain. Calls from two regions representing the
two types were analyzed using 24 recordings from Hawai‘i (Naisa-type) and
12 recordings from the eastern Pacific Ocean (Shiho-type). Calls from the
two types were significantly differentiated in median start frequency,
frequency range, and duration, and were significantly differentiated in the
cumulative distribution of start frequency, frequency range, and duration.
Gaussian mixture models were used to classify calls from the two different
regions with 74% accuracy, which was significantly greater than chance. The
results of these analyses indicate that the two types are acoustically
distinct, which supports the hypothesis that the two types may be separate
sub-species.

You can access this paper online at http://asa.scitation.org/
doi/abs/10.1121/1.4974858, or email me directly for a pdf copy.

Best regards,
Amy

<*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><

Amy Van Cise
PhD Candidate
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
https://amyvancise.wordpress.com