[MARMAM] New publication on a common sound from an unidentified great whale

Rhianne Ward rhiward at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 16:26:33 PDT 2017

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the recent publication of our research article:

Ward, R., Gavrilov, A. N. and McCauley, R. D. (2017) “Spot” call: A common sound from an unidentified great whale in Australian temperate waters. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 142 (2) doi: 10.1121/1.4998608

Abstract:
Underwater passive acoustic recordings in the Southern and Indian Oceans off Australia from 2002 to 2016 have regularly captured a tonal signal of about 10 s duration at 22–28 Hz with a symmetrical bell-shaped envelope. The sound is often accompanied by short, higher frequency downsweeps and repeated at irregular intervals varying from 120 to 200 s. It is termed the “spot” call according to its appearance in spectrograms of long-time averaging. Although similar to the first part of an Antarctic blue whale Z-call, evidence suggests the call is produced by another great whale, with the source as yet not identified.

The article is available from the publishers website (http://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.4998608) or by request to rhiward at hotmail.com<mailto:rhiward at hotmail.com>

Many thanks,

Rhianne Ward
PhD Candidate | Centre for Marine Science and Technology

Curtin University
Mobile | 0400 737 545 /  0476 064 661

Email | rhiward at hotmail.com<mailto:rhiward at hotmail.com>
Project Web |  www.gabrightwhales.com<http://www.gabrightwhales.com/>