[MARMAM] New publication on foraging ecology of Antarctic fur seals.

Tiphaine Jeanniard du Dot dudot at zoology.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 30 11:04:35 PDT 2017

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce the publication the article entitled
'Reproductive success is energetically linked to foraging efficiency in
Antarctic fur seals' paper in PLOS ONE.

Direct link:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0174001

Abstract:

The efficiency with which individuals extract energy from their
environment defines their survival and reproductive success, and thus
their selective contribution to the population. Individuals that forage
more efficiently (i.e., when energy gained exceeds energy expended) are
likely to be more successful at raising viable offspring than
individuals that forage less efficiently. Our goal was to test this
prediction in large long-lived mammals under free-ranging conditions. To
do so, we equipped 20 lactating Antarctic fur seals (Arctocephalus
gazella) breeding on Kerguelen Island in the Southern Ocean with tags
that recorded GPS locations, depth and tri-axial acceleration to
determine at-sea behaviours and detailed time-activity budgets during
their foraging trips. We also simultaneously measured energy spent at
sea using the doubly-labeled water (DLW) method, and estimated the
energy acquired while foraging from 1) type and energy content of prey
species present in scat remains, and 2) numbers of prey capture attempts
determined from head acceleration. Finally, we followed the growth of 36
pups from birth until weaning (of which 20 were the offspring of our 20
tracked mothers), and used the relative differences in body mass of pups
at weaning as an index of first year survival and thus the reproductive
success of their mothers. Our results show that females with greater
foraging efficiencies produced relatively bigger pups at weaning. These
mothers achieved greater foraging efficiency by extracting more energy
per minute of diving rather than by reducing energy expenditure. This
strategy also resulted in the females spending less time diving and less
time overall at sea, which allowed them to deliver higher quality milk
to their pups, or allowed their pups to suckle more frequently, or both.
The linkage we demonstrate between reproductive success and the quality
of individuals as foragers provides an individual-based quantitative
framework to investigate how changes in the availability and
accessibility of prey can affect fitness of animals.

--
Tiphaine Jeanniard-du-Dot, PhD
Marine Mammal Research Unit