[MARMAM] New paper: Just 15% of fleet makes half of ship noise

Scott Veirs sveirs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 01:31:02 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce a new article with implications for marine
mammals, as well as other ocean organisms that are sensitive to sound.
Entitled "A key to quieter seas: half of ship noise comes from 15% of the
fleet <https://dx.doi.org/10.22541/au.149039726.69540798>" this work
presents source level statistics and computations which underpin four
policy options which could reduce ship noise levels by 3 dB re 1 uPa.  Along
with my co-authors Val Veirs, Rob Williams, Michael Jasny, and Jason Wood,
I invite you to read this open-access preprint --

https://dx.doi.org/10.22541/au.149039726.69540798

Abstract:

"Underwater noise pollution from ships is a chronic, global stressor
impacting a wide range of marine species. Ambient ocean noise levels nearly
doubled each decade from 1963-2007 in low-frequency bands attributed to
shipping, inspiring a pledge from the International Maritime Organization
to reduce ship noise and a call from the International Whaling Commission
for member nations to halve ship noise within a decade. Our analysis of
data from 1,582 ships reveals that half of the total power radiated by a
modern fleet comes from just 15% of the ships, namely those with source
levels above 179 dB re 1 μPa @ 1 m. We present a range of management
options for reducing ship noise efficiently, including incentive-based
programs, without necessarily regulating the entire fleet."

We would also like to encourage the Marmam community to comment upon our
article publicly.  We have elected to publish our results as a preprint on
the collaborative scientific writing site, Authorea, to promote low-cost
open science and to solicit feedback from our peers -- you!

While reading the article on Authorea in your web browser (as an HTML
document, rather than a PDF), you may comment anonymously or
non-anonymously on any paragraph, figure, or table.  We promise to respond
to you, at least in follow-up comments on the site, and possibly by
revising the article based on your input.

If you prefer to write a traditional comprehensive review, we would be
happy to archive and link to it so that your effort is documented and
citable. We welcome email responses to scott at beamreach.org

Best regards,
Scott in Seattle