[MARMAM] Melbourne Beach Marine Mammal Internship
bgreerfau at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:31:40 PDT 2017
Interns will assist with manatee rescues, carcass salvages, and research in
east central Florida.
The Fish and Wildlife Research Institute’s (FWRI) Marine Mammal Research
subsection is looking for an intern to assist with manatee salvage, rescue,
and research at the Melbourne Beach field lab (which includes Brevard,
Indian River, Volusia, Orange, Osceola, Lake, Seminole Counties). Normally,
there is one intern per season: Spring (Jan-April), Summer (May-Aug), and
Fall (Sept-Dec). Start and end dates can be worked out with the intern
supervisor. Interns will assist with field necropsies as needed and conduct
photo identification, radio tracking and temperature monitoring as time
permits. Interns will also complete mortality and rescue reports, perform
equipment maintenance and assist with other office work as needed. The
intern is required to complete a project and present a 10-15 minute seminar
on the work accomplished during their internship.
- a junior or senior college student or recent graduate (special cases
are considered but applicants must be 18 years or older);
- comfortable driving large trucks and speaking to the public;
- computer literate, in possession of a valid driver's license, able to
lift 50 pounds and able to swim.
- Previous experience with digital SLR cameras, telephoto lenses, and
- Previous animal handling experience.;
- Ability to trailer and operate watercrafts up to 22' in length and
experience with radio telemetry tracking gear
Applicants should be aware this internship will require them to be wet,
dirty and outdoors in all weather conditions. This position is unpaid and
housing is not provided. Interns must provide their own transportation to
and from the field station.
If you are interested in applying for an internship with the FWRI, please
provide the following information:
- A cover letter describing area(s) of interest and the dates, days and
hours of availability.
- A résumé describing training and experience.
- Names and contact information for at least three references.
- An unofficial copy of your academic transcript.
Please send these items as e-mail attachments to: Interns at MyFWC.com
If electronic submission is not possible, hard copies can be mailed to:
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
100 Eighth Avenue SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-5020
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM