[MARMAM] Living Seas Dolphin Volunteer Position Avaliable at Cardigan Bay marine Wildlife Cnetre, New Quay, West Wales

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Mon Apr 3 05:51:22 PDT 2017

The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales (WTSWW) is one of six local
Wildlife Trusts in Wales and is part of a wider movement of 47 Wildlife
Trusts which cover the whole of the British Isles. The Wildlife Trusts aim
for an environment rich in wildlife for everyone, striving to secure Living
Seas where marine wildlife thrives, from the depths of the ocean to the
coastal shallows. We recognise this as an inspirational end point where our
environment, society and economy coexist for the benefit of wildlife and
people.

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) was originally established
in 1996 as a non-profit organisation dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay's
marine wildlife through education and research. From the 1st April 2015 the
CBMWC became fully integrated into the Wildlife Trust of South and West
Wales and we deliver much of the Trusts Living Seas programme of work as
well as host the Living Seas Marine Team staff and volunteers.

We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to join our
volunteer team CBMWC from 22nd May-10th July 2017 (7 weeks). The volunteer
will gain valuable experience whilst helping us to collect data on the
marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay, man our visitor centre and inspire visitors
and the public through community engagement activities.

Overall Purpose of The Role:

The Living Seas Volunteer will assist with the delivery of our Living Seas
research and engagement objectives and is required for 22nd May -10th July
2017 (7 weeks)

Tasks include (but are not limited to):

.         Land-based surveys in conjunction with Ceredigion County Council
(daily)

.         Boat-based surveys*

.         Manning our visitor centre, providing interpretation for visitors,
selling merchandise and taking boat bookings

.         Community engagement inspiring the public through events and
activities

.         Data entry and checking

.         Updating daily sightings information

.         Beach cleans

.         Maintenance and up-keep of our salt water aquarium

.         Assisting with up-keep and maintenance of CBMWC premises

.         There may also be the opportunity to assist with various projects
e.g. acoustic analysis, writing articles for publication on social media and
newsletters

* Boat trips are run by an external company who we collaborate with. They
are weather dependent and volunteers take turns to join trips to act as
onboard researcher. During times of bad weather, you will spend more time
carrying out shore-based activities.

Important: In the past volunteers have worked up to 6-8 hours a day 6 days a
week, to ensure surveys can be conducted during periods of good weather and
volunteers gain the most out of the experience. Some training and activities
may take place outside of normal office hours. Field work can involve long
periods outdoors and in inclement weather, wet weather gear is provided. All
volunteers are required to attend training and to contribute to all CBMWC
activities, tasks and field work.

We are looking for volunteers with the following skills/qualities:

.         Fluency in English

.         Positive, reliable, responsible, conscientious and mature attitude

.         Ability to work and live closely with others as part of a small
team

.         Strong work ethic with an ability to work unsupervised

.         Adaptable and patient (particularly as boat work is weather
dependent)

.         Confident in dealing with the public both face to face and over
the telephone

.         Interest and/or experience of working with the public

.         Research and surveying experience (not essential as training
provided)

.         IT skills, including Microsoft Office

.         Interest and or/experience in salt water aquaria

Please note that enthusiasm for our work and the marine environment is as
valued as experience, since full training is provided.

Please note that volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and
accommodation costs.

How To Apply:

For more information on the role visit
www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seasonal-volunteers

Contact Laura Evans, Living Seas Volunteer Coordinator at
volunteer at cbmwc.org for more information and an application form.

The closing date for applications is 23:59pm on Sunday 9th April 2017,
however applications will be reviewed as they come in.

Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre,

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560224

Website: www.cbmwc.org <http://www.cbmwc.org/>