[MARMAM] New publication on Metabolic Costs of Flight Responses in Odontocetes

Terrie Williams tmwillia at ucsc.edu
Mon Apr 3 23:40:38 PDT 2017

Dear MarMam Readers,

My colleagues and I are pleased to share our new publication in the
Journal of Experimental Biology,

"Swimming and Diving Energetics in Dolphins: A stroke-by-stroke analysis
for predicting the cost of flight responses in wild odontocetes." Terrie
M. Williams et al., Journal of Experimental Biology 220, 1135-1145,
doi:10.1242/jeb.154245 (2017).

In this collaborative study involving researchers from academia,
aquariums, and the field we use a lab-to-field approach to understand
the metabolic challenges of diving and swimming in
odontocetes.Measurements of active metabolic rates of bottlenose
dolphins are compared to large and small odontocetes to create
allometric regressions that allow investigators to translate
accelerometer recordings of stroke frequency from dolphins and whales
into energetic costs.This technique is tested on published data for
beaked whales exposed to experimental sonar, and demonstrates the
physiological impact of oceanic noise on this species with ensuing
conservation implications.

For more information and the pdf of this paper contact
williams at biology.ucsc.edu.

Best Regards,

Terrie M. Williams

Center for Ocean Health, UCSC