[MARMAM] SUBJECT: Internship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island: May-September 2017

Nova Atlantis oceanwatch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 01:07:35 PDT 2017

SUBJECT LINE:

Internship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island: May-September 2017

The Nova Atlantis Foundation (www.nova-atlantis.org
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nova-atlantis.org%2F&h=CAQGmg5FoAQEtAnnouiixExrinzFS9DZg5qgb-ltZUdNyCA&enc=AZPvOcwjNEBjCyihbUtGjv6Jox_lzD_bzMj9Fa1mJq9v-T38WQgxnJnGm417KiQFvW8C5fCQWRF7oCtrXvIGfYcfcCe1BsQ1vGs90jV5jbG86WpVShk1w99VIRxNeDNoJyha12wzx-eiipB1kKN5334iMkH9pmZMhtrPfzj2_yAiBs-mSUazLo-qzeRodWMzs4NGxpLxuS2eX0efzMO55S5f&s=1>)
is preparing its 18th fieldwork season, dedicated to studying the social
ecology of the Risso´s dolphin around Pico island. Next to the continuation
of the Risso project we will conduct cetacean monitoring surveys, focusing
on the deep diving species such as pilot whales and beaked whales. Pico
island is an excellent area to learn and gain experience at sea and to
observe over 15 species of cetaceans during the summer season.

We are seeking biology students for the period May to September. Candidates
should be available for at least 3 months. We may make exceptions for
potential participants to apply for a shorter placement. Interns must be
self-motivated, with the drive and determination to work independently and
responsibly, and with a true interest in marine conservation and animal
behaviour.

The internship includes:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and
data processing

- Sea-surveys and land based data collection

- Data processing

- Additional work e.g. boat cleaning and preparation, maintenance of the
observation post

The 3 month internship requires a payment fee of 1500 € to cover running
field work costs. An external insurance to cover your internship period is
highly recommended.

Expenses for travelling to and from the field worksite, accommodation and
food are not included in this fee. The Nova Atlantis Foundation offers
accommodation in collaboration with a local family in Santa Cruz das
Ribeiras (175 EUR per month, all inclusive-ex food). Interns are free to
find their own accommodation in the Ribeiras area as well.

Fieldwork is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive long days of
work at sea and from land. On a typical field day we split the team in a
land crew and a sea crew and work in shifts allowing all to rotate and gain
experience in several methodologies. We use rough weather days for data
entry or as a day off.

Application deadline is the 20th of April, 2017.  We will select the most
promising students and invite these candidates  for a Skype interview
during the last week of April.

To apply for this position please send a short letter (state which period
you prefer) and a short CV to: oceanwatch at gmail.com.

Thank you very much!

--
Karin Hartman, PhD