[MARMAM] New publication: phylogeography of Pacific short-finned pilot whales

Amy Van Cise avancise at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:22:43 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of my coauthors I am pleased to share our recent publication on
the phylogeography of short-finned pilot whales in the Pacific Ocean,
published in the October 2016 edition of Marine Mammal Science:

Van Cise, AM, PA Morin, RW Baird, AR Lang, KM Robertson, SJ Chivers, RL
Brownell, KK Martien. 2016.* Redrawing the map: mtDNA provides new insight
into the distribution and diversity of short-finned pilot whales in the
Pacific Ocean.* Marine Mammal Science, 32(October), pp.1177–1199.

Abstract:
Correlations between morphological and genetic data provide evidence to
delineate species or evolutionarily significant units, which then become
the units to conserve in management plans. Here, we examine the
distribution and genetic differentiation of two morphotypes of short-finned
pilot whale (*Globicephala macrorhynchus*) in the Pacific Ocean.
Mitochondrial control region sequences from 333 samples were combined with
152 previously published sequences to describe genetic variability globally
and population structure in the Pacific. Although genetic variability is
low, we found strong differentiation at both broad and local levels across
the Pacific. Based on genetics, two types are distributed throughout the
Pacific, one predominantly in the eastern Pacific and the other in the
western and central Pacific. In the eastern Pacific Ocean, no correlation
was found between distribution and sea surface temperature. The two types
have broad latitudinal ranges, suggesting their distributions are likely
driven by more complex factors, such as prey distribution, rather than sea
surface temperature.

Full text and pdf can be downloaded here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12315/abstract

Or to request a pdf directly, email me at avancise at gmail.com

Best,
Amy Van Cise

<*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><
Amy Van Cise
PhD Candidate
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
https://amyvancise.wordpress.com