[MARMAM] Seal Care Interns Zeehondencentrum Pieterburen

Ana Rubio García a.rubio.garcia at hotmail.es
Mon Oct 24 00:41:30 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

The Zeehondencentrum Pieterburen is looking for enthusiastic Seal care
volunteers!

Zeehondencentrum Pieterburen, is a specialized hospital in the north of the
Netherlands, dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation and release of
injured, orphaned and sick seals. Every year we rehabilitate on average 500
native seals, Harbor (*Phoca vitulina)* /Grey (*Halichoerus grypus*)  seals,
and return them back to the wild.

Currently we are seeking to add to our team, with some dedicated and
hardworking volunteers/interns for our Seal Care department for the
upcoming Winter period, from December 2016 till  the end of March 2017
aprox. During this period we could expect, parasitic pneumonia, trauma
patients (wounds, eye problems, broken bones...) and orphaned grey seal  pups
as the main cause of stranding for the seals in the Wadden Sea.

We are looking for those persons, of an age of 18 years and over, with a
desire to assist our experienced nurses with the day to day care of the
seal patients. As a member of our Seal Care team, tasks you could expect to
take part in can include but are not limited to: assisting the nurses with
tube feedings, medical procedures (weighing, transportation, and assisting
physical examinations/wound care), preparing individual and special diets,
sanitation of enclosures following our strict protocols, etc.

No previous experience with wild animals is required as there will be full
 training and reference material given, although the preferable candidates
will be able to dedicate a length of stay from a minimum of 12 weeks, till
a max of 24 weeks. Working 5 days, an average of 40 hours per week.

We have accommodation on site, and for a small fee per week you can eat all
your daily meals and stay in an internationally diverse environment. Due to
this, the common speaking  language is strictly English, so we expect
candidates with a moderate level of speaking, reading and writing of
English.

Because we are a rescue centre, and a hospital, you could expect that there
would be some heavy times, both emotionally and physically. But, we hope
that with the right attitude, flexibility and professionalism it would be a
rewarding and satisfying experience to help those seal patients in need.

For further application information please contact the Head of the
Volunteers, Vicky Stoneman via email on Victoria.Stoneman@
zeehondencentrum.nl, or by phoning the centre’s main information number on
0031, 595, 526 526.

For general information on our activities please check out our website
www.zeehondencentrum.nl

Zeehondencentrum Pieterburen. Healthy sea, happy seal.

Hoofdstraat 94a

9968 AG Pieterburen

T +31 (0)595 526 526

E: info at zeehondencentrum.nl

I: www.zeehondencentrum.nl

[image: cid:image004.jpg at 01D1D2D4.6A844C90]

P Please consider the environment. Think before printing.