[MARMAM] New Publication: Vocal matching

Stephanie King stephanie.king at uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 07:56:05 PDT 2016

Dear all,

My co-author and I are pleased to notify you of the online publication of our paper "Vocal matching: the what, the why and the how" in Biology Letters. In this review, we use cetaceans and other taxa (e.g. songbirds) to describe and clarify the term vocal matching as an interactive vocal behaviour.

The abstract is as follows: Over the years, vocal matching has progressed beyond being an interesting behavioural phenomenon to one that now has relevance to a wide range of fields. In this review, we use birds and cetaceans to explain what vocal matching is, why animals vocally match and how vocal matching can be identified. We show that while the functional aspects of vocal matching are similar, the contexts in which matching is used can differ between taxa. Whereas vocal matching in songbirds facilitates mate attraction and the immediate defence of resources, in parrots and cetaceans it plays a role in the maintenance of social bonds and the promotion of behavioural synchrony. We propose criteria for defining vocal matching with the aim of stimulating more matching studies across a wider range of taxa, including those using other, non-vocal, communication modalities. Finally, we encourage future studies to explore the importance of vocal learning in the development of vocal matching, and the information it may provide to third parties in the communication network.

You can download the article here: http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/12/10/20160666

Kind regards,

Stephanie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stephanie L. King, PhD
Society in Science - Branco Weiss Fellow
Centre for Evolutionary Biology
School of Animal Biology
University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009
Ph 0864881773 (W) 0447 265840 (M)

www.sharkbaydolphins.org

Please visit my homepage to find out more about my research: http://slking.weebly.com

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” — Jack Kerouac