[MARMAM] WCA Beaked Whale Advisory Group

Clair Evers clair at worldcetaceanalliance.org
Fri Oct 21 10:56:25 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) has formed a Beaked Whale Advisory
Group with the aim of prioritizing the need to move beaked whale species of
conservation concern off the current IUCN Red List of Data Deficient
species. To initiate discussion, the WCA has put together an initial list
of the major threats that pertain to beaked whale species (see below). This
list has been composed using information from the IUCN. We would like to
invite the scientific community to review this list and highlight whether
other threats or species should be considered.

*List of Beaked Whale Threats:*
 *Climate change*
·         Arnoux's Beaked Whale
·         Gray's Beaked Whale
·         Hector's Beaked Whale
·         Strap-toothed Whale
·         True's Beaked Whale
·         Stejneger's Beaked Whale
·         Spade-toothed Whale
*Restricted distribution*
·         Perrin's Beaked Whale
*Noise*
·         Indo-pacific Beaked Whale
·         Blainville's Beaked Whale
·         Gervais' Beaked Whale
·         Ginkgo-toothed Beaked Whale
·         Cuvier's Beaked Whale
·         Northern Bottlenose Whale
*Bycatch/entanglement/indirect or direct takes*
·         Andrew's Beaked Whale
·         Gervais' Beaked Whale
·         Gray's Beaked Whale
·         Hector's Beaked Whale
·         Strap-toothed Whale
·         True's Beaked Whale
·         Perrin's Beaked Whale
·         Pygmy Beaked Whale
·         Stejneger's Beaked Whale
·         Spade-toothed Whale
·         Cuvier's Beaked Whale

We are currently completing a detailed literature search for each species
to determine new information that has been published since the IUCN
listings (available for review and additions on the beaked whale forum
google group). With the help of the scientific community we aim to narrow
down the list of species so that we can focus our efforts towards those
that have the most information and/or deserve the most
immediate attention. We hope to plan a targeted Beaked Whale Workshop
focusing on the most important sites/species deemed by the group to be of
conservation concern. Workshops will likely take place at the forthcoming
ECS and SMM Conferences.

We ask that those who would like to participate continue this discussion
using our beaked whale forum google group.  If you would like to join the
Beaked Whale Advisory Group please contact clair at worldcetaceanall
<clair at worldcetaceanalliance.org>iance.org <clair at worldcetaceanalliance.org> to
be added to the google group.

We look forward to welcoming you to our discussions,

Clair Evers

Beaked Whale Project Manager

World Cetacean Alliance

*T* +44 (0)1273 355011

E *clair*@worldcetaceanalliance.org   W www.worldcetaceanalliance.org

*A* Studio 3, Lower Promenade, Madeira Drive, Brighton, BN2 1ET, UK

*The World Cetacean Alliance (WCA) is a Partnership of over 70 non-profit
organisations, whale and dolphin watching tour operators and individuals in
35 countries worldwide working collaboratively to protect cetaceans and
their habitats. World Cetacean Alliance, the Secretariat to the
Partnership, is a UK registered Charity no. 1160484. *

*The content of this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this
communication in error, be aware that forwarding it, copying it, or in any
way disclosing its content to any other person, is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify the author by
replying to this e-mail immediately.*

*Please consider the environment before printing this email or it's
attachments. *