[MARMAM] Advice concerning "swim with marine mammals"

Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara disciara at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 04:23:22 PDT 2016

Dear Marmam-ers,

I am writing in the hope that someone will be able to help me with advice as I am addressing the conservation implications of swimming with aquatic mammals.

This is an issue which raises increasing concerns for the potential or actual disturbance that tourist swimming schemes infer on cetaceans in many locations around the world, which can have conservation implications.

Having been tasked within the CMS Scientific Council to come up with a briefing background paper on the issue and possibly with a draft resolution to be tabled at the next Conference of Parties, and being only familiar with cases involving dolphins or whales, I am writing with the hope of obtaining information on cases involving "swimming with pinnipeds”, “swimming with sirenians”, or swimming with any other non-cetacean marine mammal, anywhere in the world.

The above considered, here are my questions:

a) are you aware of “swim with pinnipeds” or “swimming with sirenians” schemes being organised for tourists anywhere in the world, and if yes where and with which species?

b) if the answer to a) is yes, would you kindly send me the name and address of one or more persons who could serve as referents for particular cases?

Thanking you in advance for any information and your advice you might have on this issue.

Best wishes,

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara
CoP-appointed Councillor for Aquatic Mammals
Convention on Migratory Species of Wild Animals
disciara at gmail.com <mailto:disciara at gmail.com>