[MARMAM] Veterinary Fellowship- Vancouver Aquarium, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Barbara.Linnehan at vanaqua.org
Sat Oct 8 15:55:41 PDT 2016
Job title: Vancouver Aquarium Veterinary Fellow
Application deadline: December 1, 2016
Reporting to the Staff Veterinarian, the Veterinary Fellow will assist the veterinary staff in providing medical management for a large captive display collection that includes marine mammals, terrestrial mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and a large variety of native and tropical fish as well as approximately 150 live-stranded marine mammals (mostly harbour seals) which are cared for by the Vancouver Aquarium.
This is a one-year position beginning in summer 2017 for a veterinarian interested in pursuing specialized training in aquatic animal medicine.
As part of the application process, please email: cover letter, CV, three letters of reference, and veterinary transcripts to Demash Kristanto, HR Coordinator, at demash.kristanto at vanaqua.org<mailto:demash.kristanto at vanaqua.org>.
Application deadline: December 1st, 2016. Decisions will be made by Jan 20th , 2017
Responsible for providing medical management for the captive display collection and live stranded marine mammals by:
* Conducting veterinary duties such as examinations, blood sampling, parasite screening, diagnostic imaging, anesthesia, vaccinations and surgeries; * Assisting in the development of the health management program, treatment regimens and emergency medical procedures; * Taking responsibility for treatment of hospital cases; * Keeping up to date records.
Assist the veterinary staff in providing a comprehensive animal health program to the Vancouver Aquarium by:
* Completing regular veterinary rounds;
* Conducting regular physical examinations; * Managing and encouraging routine communication between the veterinary and staff/researchers.
Participates in post mortem examinations of stranded marine mammals under the supervision of a board-certified veterinary pathologist at the provincial Animal Health Centre.
Oversee veterinary externship program
* Assist in the selection and scheduling of visiting externs, researchers, interns and residents; * Mentor and teach visiting veterinary students (12-15 per year).
Complete and assist with research papers or case report by:
* Developing a research proposal;
* Taking samples for various research projects; * Completing research paper for scientific publication.
Education and Experience
* DVM degree or equivalent;
* Previous marine mammal or wildlife experience is a plus; * Individuals must be eligible for licensing in the Province of British Columbia; * At least one year of clinical veterinary experience is required and a small animal internship is preferred.
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to work in a complex team; * Ability to complete tasks and make sound decisions; * Excellent problem solving skills; ability to think quickly under pressure and high stress; * Strong organization skills (scheduling procedures, examinations, planning logistics for off-site procedures).
* Job involves constant attention while working with animals for personal safety and the safety of others; * Exposure to animal bites, animal pathogens and chemicals; * Requires lifting medical equipment; * Requires ability to gain access to all animal holding areas some of which are difficult to enter and require ladders and walking on slippery surfaces; * Requires working rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays and may be on call 24 hours per day.
For further information, please feel free to e-mail Barbara.Linnehan at vanaqua.org<mailto:Barbara.Linnehan at vanaqua.org> Please visit www.vanaqua.org<http://www.vanaqua.org> to submit your online application.
Martin Haulena, DVM, MSc, Dipl. ACZM
martin.haulena at vanaqua.org<mailto:martin.haulena at vanaqua.org>
Barbara Linnehan, DVM
Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre
Barbara.Linnehan at vanaqua.org<mailto:Barbara.Linnehan at vanaqua.org>
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING - THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE, IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR INTERNAL RECORDS. PLEASE THEN DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. THANK YOU
We enjoy talking to you - If you do not wish to receive further information from us (where applicable), please email PRIVACY at VANAQUA.ORG or write to our policy officer at Vancouver Aquarium, PO Box 3232 Vancouver, BC V6B 3X8
For more information about our privacy or anti-spam policies, please visit www.vanaqua.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM