[MARMAM] New publication on manatee aging

Katie Brill manateeaging at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:40:01 PDT 2016

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce a new publication published
in NAMMCO Scientific Publications.

Brill, K., Marmontel, M., Bolen-Richardson, M., & Stewart, R. (2016).
*Inter-lab
comparison of precision and recommended methods for age estimation of
Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris) using growth layer groups
in earbones*. *NAMMCO Scientific Publications, 10*. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/10.7557/3.3786

Abstract: Manatees are routinely aged by counting Growth Layer Groups
(GLGs) in periotic bones (earbones). Manatee carcasses recovered in Florida
between 1974 and 2010 provided age-estimation material for three readers
and formed the base for a retrospective analysis of aging precision
(repeatability). All readers were in good agreement (high precision) with
the greatest apparent source of variation being the result of earbone
remodelling with increasing manatee age. Over the same period, methods of
sample preparation and of determining a final age estimate changed. We
examined the effects of altering methods on ease of reading GLGs and found
no statistical differences. Accurate age estimates are an important
component for effective management of the species and for better models of
population trends and we summarize the currently recommended methods for
estimating manatee ages using earbones.

Feel free to contact me for any inquiries at ManateeAging at gmail.com

Thanks,
Katie Brill