[MARMAM] New publication: "Mediterranean Sperm Whales, Physeter macrocephalus: The Precarious State of a Lost Tribe"

Luke Rendell ler4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 04:45:06 PDT 2016

Colleagues,

The following article has been published online:

Rendell, L. & Frantzis, A. 2016. Mediterranean Sperm Whales, Physeter macrocephalus: The Precarious State of a Lost Tribe. Advances in Marine Biology Volume 75. Editors: Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara, Michela Podestà, Barbara E. Curry. DOI: 10.1016/bs.amb.2016.08.001

Abstract
First observed in the classical era, a population of sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) persists to this day in the deep waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Genetic and observational evidence support the notion that this is an isolated population, separated from its Atlantic neighbours. These whales depend on mesopelagic squid for food, and appear to occupy a very similar ecological niche to sperm whales in the open oceans. Recent evidence proving that individuals can pass between the eastern and western deep water basins confirms that this is a single population, not isolated into western and eastern stocks. We lack robust information on their population status, but they could number in the hundreds rather than thousands, and current densities appear to be much lower than those reported in the 1950s, suggesting that we should be very concerned about the conservation status of this population. This makes it vitally important to address the serious threats posed by ship strikes and entanglement in fishing nets, especially driftnets, and to carefully monitor other potential sources of anthropogenic impact. A step change in funding to collect better data and a clear shift in policy priorities are needed if we are to be serious about conserving this population.

It is available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0065288116300128

Alternatively, email ler4 at st-andrews.ac.uk for a PDF.

Best wishes,

Luke & Alexandros

--
Dr. Luke Rendell
MASTS (masts.ac.uk) Reader in Biology
E-mail: ler4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
WWW: http://bio.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/ler4.htm
School of Biology, University of St. Andrews
Sir Harold Mitchell Building,
St. Andrews, Fife
KY16 9TH
U.K.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland (SC013532)