[MARMAM] Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust Volunteer Placements 2017

Morven Russell volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Tue Nov 29 08:39:03 PST 2016

Dear All,

Our Purpose: The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is the leading
voice for the conservation of Hebridean cetaceans; dedicated to enhancing
knowledge and understanding of Scotland's whales, dolphins and porpoises and
the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within local communities towards lasting conservation.

About the Placement: HWDT operates a vital cetacean conservation programme
in the Scottish Hebrides conducting research into the distribution,
abundance and habitat use of cetaceans (and basking sharks). Our pioneering,
locally based community engagement programme, educates decision makers of
the future and inspires people to learn more about Scottish cetaceans and
the marine environment. Programmes which are well established, running for
over 20 years.

Please  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbv5ohmAB6c> CLICK HERE to watch an
informative short video about the 2017 placements.

The Trust is recruiting five volunteers to assist with the delivery of the
2017 season. Based in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, all the placements will
provide time aboard our research vessel, Silurian, experience delivering
activities in the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Centre and provision for
dedicated project work in the office. We are recruiting for a variety of
positions, each with the opportunity to develop new skills and experience.
Please follow the links for more details:

-
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=Community-Engagemen
t.asp> Community Sightings Volunteer Placement - keen to pass on your
passion for the marine environment and help enthuse the next generation? Do
you like sharing information with the public? This is the placement for you.

-
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=Events-Media.asp>
Events and Media Placement - do you have an interest in media production and
promotion of events? Do you like engaging with the public? This is the
placement for you.

-
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=Community-Sightings
.asp> Community Sightings Placement - interested in gaining experience in
delivering a citizen science programme? Do you want to develop our sightings
records and understanding of local cetacean populations? This is the
placement for you.

-
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=Photo-Identificatio
n.asp> Photo Identification Placement - if you wish to gain experience in a
fundamental cetacean research tool, this is the placement for you. Analyse
images throughout the 2017 season; identify new individuals and record
re-sightings of animals already in our catalogue.

-
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/stand_alone.asp?page=Silurian-Support.as
p> Research Vessel Support Placement - eager to learn what it takes to run a
boat-based research programme? This placement is for you. We operate a
unique citizen science programme aboard Silurian, get involved and help
deliver a fantastic season!

Information on how to apply can be found in the specific briefs through the
links above. Closing date is 8th January at noon. If you are interested in
applying for more than one placement please indicate which you'd like to
apply for in your cover letter, ranking the positions in order of
preference. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a Skype interview in
the week commencing 16th January.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Morven Russell,
HWDTs Volunteer Coordinator, on volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org or 01688
302620.

Kind regards,
Morven

Morven Russell

Volunteer Coordinator

Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust

+44 (0)1688 302620

 <http://www.hwdt.org> www.hwdt.org

28 Main Street

Tobermory

Isle of Mull

Scotland PA75 6NU

Please note my standard working days are Mon - Wed