[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Research Internships

Heidi Malizia h.malizia at archipelago.gr
Wed Nov 9 01:58:43 PST 2016

*Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation Team* is pleased to announce
that the *recruitment* process for our *Winter/Spring 2017 Marine Mammal
Research Internship* *projects* has just begun.

Students and recent graduates are invited to join our research efforts in
the *Aegean Sea islands*.

*As part of our team, you can expect to gain skills and experience in:*

·         Conducting boat and land based marine mammal surveys

·         Dolphin photo identification

·         Monitoring of a Mediterranean monk seal

·         Sea turtle identification

·         Basic marine mammal first aide and necropsy

·         Preparing for the development of The Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary

·         Promoting citizen science through our eco-navigation project

·         Marine bird surveys

·         Data analysis

·         Scientific discussions

The work of Archipelagos; Institute of Marine Conservation, is built upon a
strong and enthusiastic team of volunteer researchers and young scientists.
We are therefore seeking applicants that are motivated and have a strong
desire to protect and conserve the natural environment. You must be
conscientious and highly motivated, able to work both individually and as
part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team of people from around the world. You
will be working on a variety of projects related to your placement type and
so you must have good time management skills, with the ability to meet
deadlines, along with excellent organizational and self-management skills.
Candidates must have a good eye for detail and have a high standard of work
presentation. An in-depth knowledge and understanding of the English
language and grammar system, being able to speak, read and write
confidently is crucial. Further essential requirements include computer
proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs. Previous experience relating to
your placement is preferable, but not required.

Scheduled time frame: *November - March 2017* but the starting date could be*
negotiable*.

*As a non-profit organization Archipelagos cannot cover the living and
working cost of the interns. Therefore, all interns will need to cover the
monthly placement fees of 650 euros. This covers accommodation, full board,
use of equipment, use of the research boats, transport for working
purposes, Greek language lessons etc. Travelling costs are NOT included in
this price and are covered by the participant. Students and recent
graduates are advised to explore possible funding through their
universities, by getting in touch with the Finance / International
Relations / Placement/ Erasmus+ Offices at their Universities or other
relevant grant providing organizations in their region.

*To apply: *Pease send your CV and your motivation letter to
admissions at archipelago.gr

For all the essential information about our internship programs visit our
site:

http://archipelago.gr/en/get-involved/placements-and-internships/

--

*Heidi Malizia*

*Marine Mammal Research Lead*

*Archipelagos, Institute of Marine Conservation*

Marine Research Base: P.O. Box 42, Pythagorio, Samos 83103, Greece

Telephone: +30 22730 61191

h <k.delaveri at archipelago.gr>.malizia at archipelgo.gr;  www.archipelago.gr
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.archipelago.gr&sn=YW5hc3Rhc2lhQGFyY2hpcGVsYWdvLmdy>