[MARMAM] URGENT: 1 research assistant Needed LAST CALL
Joëlle De Weerdt
joelle.de.weerdt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 02:28:10 PST 2016
ELI-S is a nonprofit organization based in France that has been created in
2013. Our organization aims at promoting, protecting and conserving
cetaceans. We have set up the research project ?Cetacean Conservation in
ELI-Scientific is seeking one research assistants for field work,
photo-identification and data entry from 23 of January to 23 of April 2017.
project aims to generate knowledge on cetacean presence, distribution and
habitat use patterns. The Research Assistant will have a unique opportunity
to participate to a pioneer research project under the supervision of
experienced Team Leader and the Project Director.
The expected output is to generate: 1) scientific data on cetaceans in
Nicaragua, 2) environmental awareness to the local communities in order to
create a socio-economic relevance in conserving and protecting their
natural environment and 3) responsible eco-tourism.
All team members will have a training beforehand on the field methodologies
and protocols as well as on data management.
*Locations: *Padre Ramos North-West of Nicaragua
*Period: *January,23rd – April, 23rd 2017 (3 months)
*Type of agreement: *Full time. 1 Day off per week.
Research assistants should expect to spend at least 4 days a week on the
field and 1 day a week in working with data and should be willing and able
to work a 6 days per week during the 12-week field study.
- Assist in Boat based surveys in collecting data on cetaceans
- Photo-identification of whale and dolphin species
- Update photo-ID catalogue
- Data entry of collected data
- Participate to public outreach
*Skills and qualifications:*
- *Bsc or Mc in biology / environmental sciences*
- *Fluency in Spanish*
- *Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working*
- Have background in cetacean ecology, and at least one season of
- Experience of working in developing countries
- *Experience in delivering educational activities*
- Proactive with ability to work unsupervised
- Interest in wildlife and conservation
- Being comfortable on a small boat
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Being able to work in a small team
- Being able to live in basic living conditions
*Desirable skills :*
- An interest and knowledge of marine life
- A background in marine biology
- Speaking English and French is a plus
- Be able to swim
*Successful candidate will:*
- Gain valuable experience in cetacean survey techniques and
- Work in a very dynamic environment
- Get insight in running a research project in developing countries
*Accommodation and expenses:*
A participation fee of 500 euros/month will be asked to the assistant and
includes accommodation and food, the travel to and from the airport, the
membership to the organisation, 2 project t-shirts. The Research assistant
is responsible for its own transportation.
Please email a CV, 2 references and cover letter outlining your experience
and motivations. Send this to joelle.deweerdt at eli-s.com with -Research
assistant 2017- in the subject line. The application deadline is 13
November 2016. Interviews per skype.
For further information and any queries, please contact Joelle De
Email: joelle.deweerdt at eli-s.com
Tel: 0032 497 71 20 87
Website: www.eli-s.com and www.nicacetacea.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM