[MARMAM] Living Seas Dolphin Research Volunteer Positions, Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, New Quay, West Wales

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Sat May 28 03:37:51 PDT 2016

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Living Seas Research Volunteer 2016

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is looking for dedicated and
enthusiastic individuals to volunteer with us and gain valuable experience
whilst helping us to collect data on the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay,
run our visitor centre and inspire visitors through our educational and
awareness raising activities.

Positions have become available for the following volunteering periods.

*	Block C: 4th July - 4th September (8 weeks) Please note that one of
the successful applicants will be sharing a bedroom with 3 male volunteers.
*	Block D: 5th September - 31st October (8 weeks)

We ask that volunteers are able to commit for the entire block and priority
will be given to those that can volunteer for both blocks.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales,
UK. Since 1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local
marine environment through education and research. Using boat-based and
land-based surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose
dolphin, harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan
Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We also run a
busy visitor centre as well as our Discovery Room which offers marine
educational and awareness raising activities for families, schools and
groups. In April 2015 we became part of the Wildlife Trust of South and West
Wales (WTSWW) and will be delivering the trusts Living Seas programme.

What you will gain

Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a
fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine
wildlife conservation and meet new people who share your interests. You will
learn about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in
field work, research methods, data processing, public awareness and
education programmes. The data you collect will contribute to long running
research studies on bottlenose dolphin site usage, abundance,
photo-identification and acoustic studies. There may also be additional
opportunities to gain experience in boat handling and seamanship skills.
Past volunteers have gone on to further education, work as MMO's and work
for other conservation organisations.

Role description

Volunteering tasks include (but are not limited to):

·          Visitor centre operation, including dealing with enquiries and
taking boat bookings

·          Land-based surveys in conjunction with Ceredigion County
Council’s Dolphinwatch

·          Boat-based surveys*

·          Educational and awareness raising activities with children and
the general public

·          Data entry and checking

·          Updating daily sightings information

·          Beach cleans

·          Aquarium maintenance

·          Cleaning and general upkeep of CBMWC premises

* Boat surveys are weather dependent and volunteers take turns to join trips
to act as onboard researcher. During times of bad weather, you will spend
more time carrying out shore-based activities.

Important: In the past volunteers have worked up to 8 hours a day 6 days a
week. Some training and activities may take place outside of normal office
hours. Field work can involve long periods outdoors and in inclement
weather. All volunteers are expected to contribute to all CBMWC activities,
tasks and field work and to attend all training sessions provided.

Personal Qualities:

Essential skills

·          Positive, reliable, responsible, conscientious and mature
attitude

·          Ability to work and live closely with others as part of a small
team

·          Strong work ethic with an ability to work unsupervised

·          Adaptable and patient (particularly as boat work is weather
dependent)

·          Confident in dealing with the public both face to face and over
the telephone

·          Fluency in English

Desirable skills

·          Interest and/or experience of working with children in
environmental education

·          Research and surveying experience

·          IT skills, including Microsoft Office and GIS

·          Interest and or/experience in salt water aquaria

Please note that enthusiasm for our work and the marine environment is as
valued as experience, since full training is provided.

Volunteer Fee

An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful
applicants.

Accommodation and Expense Arrangements

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week, including bills. Please be aware that volunteers share same sex
bedrooms. Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and
accommodation costs but it is very easy to find part time work in New Quay.

Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation costs are
required in advance to cover the cost of each block so before applying
please ensure that you can cover this and all other expenses.

How To Apply

Download a volunteer application form from our website
<http://www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seasonal-volunteers/>
www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seasonal-volunteers/ and email it along with a CV
and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) outlining how you meet the
personal specification and your motivations for applying to
<mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org> volunteer at cbmwc.orgwith ‘Seasonal Volunteer
application 2016’ in your subject line.

Deadlines for applications in midnight on Sunday 5th June 2016

For Further Information

Visit  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org/

If you have any questions please email  <mailto:volunteer at cbmwc.org>
volunteer at cbmwc.org with an appropriate subject line or call Laura on 01545
560224.

Our volunteering programme is supported by the Volunteering in Wales Fund
via Wales Council for Voluntary Action.

Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre,

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560224