[MARMAM] op-ed on commercial shipping noise and Navy

Jasny, Michael mjasny at nrdc.org
Wed May 25 12:08:15 PDT 2016

Hi All,

I want to make folks aware of an unusual op-ed on shipping noise, which was published in Sunday's edition of the Richmond (Va.) Times-Courier.  The op-ed was co-authored by myself and William Parker III, a former Commodore in the U.S. Navy and now COO of the EastWest Institute, urging the Navy to help quiet commercial ships for the sake of both national security and the environment.  Many of the same points we make in the op-ed would apply to other navies as well.

Please let me know offline if you'd like an electronic copy of the print version (which looks much nicer), or you can read the op-ed on the Times-Dispatch website: http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/guest-columnists/article_02f6a5cb-a413-5915-879d-c99353d0bdf3.html.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael jasny
Director, Marine Mammal Protection

NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL
4479 W. 5th Avenue
Vancouver, bc v6r1s4
T 604.736.9386
c 310.560.5536
mjasny at NRDC.ORG<mailto:mjasny at NRDC.ORG>

Please save paper.
Think before printing.