[MARMAM] 2016 Cetacean Research Assistant Program (Barcelona- Spain)

Info Edmaktub info at edmaktub.org
Mon May 23 14:10:17 PDT 2016

*EDMAKTUB ASSOCIATION <http://www.edmaktub.com/>*

7-Day Cetacean Research Assistant Program | Vilanova i la Geltrú, Barcelona
(SPAIN)

*Want to be part of a research project to study cetacean population in the
Balearic Sea?*

*Interested in joining a scientific campaign while you enjoy seeing many
cetacean species and seabirds in Mediterranean waters?*

*We invite you to join **EDMAKTUB* <http://www.edmaktub.org>*’s research
team for 7 days to participate in our ongoing research.*

EDMAKTUB association is a non profit organization for the study and
disclosure of aquatic environment. We are specially focused in the study of
cetaceans, and since 2012 we develop the “BCNCET
<http://www.edmaktub.org/en/bcncet-project/>” project. The aim of the
project is to study the cetacean species in the Balearic Sea (between
Catalan coasts and the Balearic Islands), including the* use of new
non-invasive techniques such as drones.*

*We are seeking volunteers to assist in our 2016 *BCNCET one-week summer
 campaigns *in the Balearic Sea, *in which we study the presence and
distribution of all cetacean species found in the Balearic Sea, between
Barcelona and the Balearic Islands.

Surveys Dates:

1rst Option: From *10th **July to 17th **July **2016*

2nd Option: From* 4th **September **to 11th **September **2016*

The Maktub, our catamaran will sail around the Balearic Sea, between
the Catalan coast and the Balearic Islands. It will departure from Vilanova
i la Geltrú (Barcelona) harbor and arrive to the same harbor.

Visual and acoustical surveys, for the study of the distribution,
behaviour, and sound production of the sighted species will be conducted
from early morning to evening during the 7 days on board. The assistants
will be able to learn: species identification, environmental and
behavioural data collection, use of hydrophones for passive acoustic
studies  (equivalent to MMO and PAM practices), and basic marine navigating
skills. Moreover an innovative and non-invasive methodology based on the
use of remote control model airplanes or drones (multicopters) for the
cetacean study is going to be used, as they transmit real-time images of
animals and allow to capture these images, as well as, use it to obtain
blow samples for possible biological-sampling in order to develop genetic
studies.

Volunteers will have the chance to learn about the *high marine
biodiversity found in the area*, including: Spermwhales (*Physeter
macrocephalus*), bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*), striped
dolphins (*Stenella coeruleoalba)*, fin whales (*Balaenoptera physalus*),
Cuvier’s beaked whales (*Ziphius cavirostris*), common dolphins (*Delphinus
delphis*), long-finned pilot whale (*Globicephala melas*) and Risso’s
dolphins (*Grampus griseus*); many seabird species, some of which are
endangered such as the Balearic shearwater  (*Puffinus mauretanicus*),
Mediterranean shearwater (*Puffinus yelkouan*), Scopoli's Shearwater
(*Calonectris
diomedea)*, and Northern gannet (*Morus bassanus*); different fish species
(such as sunfish and blue-fin tuna); many invertebrates; and sometimes even
Loggerhead turtles (*Caretta caretta*).

No previous experience, nor specific knowledge, is required as EDMAKTUB staff
will provide all the necessary information and training.

We offer a fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to
marine wildlife conservation and also meet new people who share your
interests!

*EDMAKTUB* <http://www.edmaktub.com/>* is a non-profit organization* that
relies on its volunteers’ and collaborators’ donations to cover the costs
and support the work of the project. *Volunteers are an essential part of
the association* and play a vital role in our work.

Join us in this *unforgettable experience* which will allow you to stay in
direct contact with the marine environment and its fascinating inhabitants!

*More information about this project in our website**: