[MARMAM] Ship strikes and the IWC

Simone Panigada simo.pani at inwind.it
Mon May 23 02:16:16 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM friends and colleagues,

with this message we would like to update you on the issue of ship
strikes (collisions between ships and cetaceans) and at the same time
enquire about your knowledge of incidents. Also, and most
importantly, we want to remind everybody about the global IWC ship
strike database.

The International Whaling Commission (IWC) is addressing the problem
of ship strikes since many years and has taken a leading role in this
issue (see http://iwc.int/ship-strikes). It's Scientific Committee
(SC) considers methods of estimating the number of whales killed from
ship strikes; it is also fostering the dialogue between researchers,
authorities and the shipping industry and thus takes part in
developing mitigation measures. The Conservation Committee (CC) has
established a dedicated Ship Strikes Working Group to develop a
policy framework for mitigation of ship strike events and to
co-ordinate work between member governments. Both SC and CC provide a
forum to report ship strike cases, and the measures being taken
within countries to reduce and record incidences of ship strikes.

The IWC is also working in conjunction with other international
bodies such as the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as well
as with shipping associations, NGOs and regional groups.

The IWC has developed a global database to report collisions between
vessels and whales. The database is open for anyone to submit data on
collision events, including both information on whales (e.g.,
species, size, observed injuries, etc.) as well as on vessels. The
objectives of the database are to deliver estimates of mortality and
injuries, to help detect trends over time, to allow better modeling
of risk factors (e.g., vessel type, speed, size), and to identify
high risk or unsuspected problem areas. The database provides an
on-going facility for collecting new information, and most
importantly, it relies on scientists and mariners providing
information. Therefore, any report of a ship strike is particularly important.

With this communication, we are looking for new records and would
like to invite any of you with information regarding collision cases
or evidence of animals with clear sign of ship strike to compile the
online database at: https://portal.iwc.int/shipstrike.

Such information can come from witness reports you may have heard of,
but also from (your own) scientific publications, etc.

Please note that the database has recently received a thorough
revision and has a complete new design, to make it more user-friendly.

We would like to thank you for your cooperation; please do not
hesitate to get in touch with us in case you need further information
or any assistance.

Please visit the IWC ship strike website to find out more at:
<http://iwc.int/ship-strikes>http://iwc.int/ship-strikes.

Simone Panigada - panigada at inwind.it
Fabian Ritter - ritter at m-e-e-r.de

IWC ship strikes coordinators