[MARMAM] New publication on bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus) whistle characteristics

Rhianne Ward rhiward at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 02:27:49 PDT 2016

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the recent publication of our research article:

Ward, R., Parnum, I., Erbe, C. & Salgado-Kent C. (2016) Whistle Characteristics of Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in the Fremantle Inner Harbour, Western Australia. Acoustics Australia 44: 159-169

Abstract:
Bottlenose dolphins use whistles to communicate with their conspecifics and maintain group cohesion. We recorded 477 whistles of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in the Fremantle Inner Harbour, Western Australia, on nine occasions over a six-week period during May/June 2013. Over half (57 %) of the whistles had complex contours exhibiting at least one local extremum, while 32 % were straight upsweeps, 5 % downsweeps and 6 % constant-frequency. About 60 % of whistles occurred in trains. Fundamental frequency ranged from 1.1 to 18.4 kHz and whistle duration from 0.05 to 1.15 s. The maximum numbers of local extrema and inflection points were 7 and 9, respectively. Whistle parameters compared well to those of measurements made from other T. aduncus populations around Australia. Observed differences might be due to ambient noise rather than geographic separation.

The article is available from the publishers website (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40857-015-0041-4) or by request to rhiward at hotmail.com

Many thanks,

Rhianne Ward
PhD Candidate | Centre for Marine Science and Technology

Curtin University
Mobile | 0400 737 545

Email | rhiward at hotmail.com<mailto:rhiward at hotmail.com>
Project Web |  www.gabrightwhales.com<http://www.gabrightwhales.com>

Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J