[MARMAM] River dolphin research Internship opportunity in Indonesia-deadline 22th May 2016

Danielle Kreb danielle.kreb1 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:25:21 PDT 2016

Yayasan Konservasi RASI (Conservation Foundation for Rare Aquatic Species
of Indonesia) is offering an internship opportunity to join our bi-annual
monitoring surveys on the freshwater Irrawaddy dolphin population in the
Mahakam River in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Our bi-annual population
monitoring surveys using mark-recapture of photo-identified individuals has
been running since 2005. Two extensive monitoring surveys covering dolphin
habitat are planned between  1)16-25 August 2016, 2) 8-17 September 2016.
The candidate is required to aid in the photo-identification analysis after
each field survey, so the minimum required available period will be from 14
August until 1 October 2016. Other requirements include:  1) physically
healthy as the field work will be carried out under tropical heat
conditions, 2) good eye-sight and experienced with binoculars, 3) good
motivation, 4) good concentration during working hours and patience, 5)
have a health certificate that is valid abroad, 6) can pay for own
accommodation and food while doing analysis at RASI office in Samarinda
city. We can help arrange accommodation nearby our office for you.
Accommodation incl. breakfast in Samarinda comes to about 300 USD  for 2
months, whereas field accommodation is covered by RASI.  Lunch or dinner
prices may vary between 1.5-2 USD per meal. 7) experience with the computer
program MARK is a plus but not required.

If you are interested please send us your CV and motivation letter where
you also asked to relate to the 6 requirements above.

Deadline for applying is: Sunday, 22th of May 2016. All applicants will be
notified by 30th of May at the latest.

Thanks for your attention and interest,

--------------------------
Danielle Kreb (Ph.D.)
Scientific Program Advisor
Yayasan Konservasi RASI
Rare Aquatic Species of Indonesia
Komplek Pandan Harum Indah
(Erlyza) Blok C, No. 52
Samarinda 75124
Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia
Tel/ fax: + 62.541.744874
Mobile: 081346489515
http://www.ykrasi.org
Facebook group/page: Rare Aquatic Species of Indonesia

*“To the dolphin alone, nature has given that which the best*
*philosophers seek: friendship for no advantage. Though it has no*
*need of help from any man, it is a genial friend to all and has helped
mankind.”*
*–Plutarch*