[MARMAM] New publication on the influence of geographic scale on marine tourism valuations.

Coralie D'Lima coralie.dlima at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:24:44 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce our recent publication
on the influence of geographic scale on marine tourism valuations.

*Full citation:*

D’Lima, C., Welters, R., Hamann, M., and Marsh, H. 2016. Using regional
geographic scale substitution to value coastal wildlife tourism:
implications for stakeholders, conservation and management. *Ocean &
Coastal Management*. 128: 52-60. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.04.019
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.04.019>

*Abstract:*

Marine and coastal wildlife tourism industries such as cetacean and shark
tourism are increasing globally, as is the need to value and sustainably
manage these industries. To reliably estimate expenditures attributable to
wildlife tourism, it is important to consider the degree to which the
target species can be substituted by other attractions in the same
geographic area. However, the effect of substitution between coastal
wildlife tourism industries and other geographically-connected tourist
attractions across a broad region is typically neglected. We value a
coastal wildlife tourism industry by considering the influence of
substitution between wildlife tourism and other attractions, locally and
regionally. Using surveys, we found that dolphin-watching at Chilika Lagoon
was partially substituted by other attractions locally, and geographically
neighbouring attractions in the region of Odisha (India). If dolphins are
extirpated, stakeholders in Chilika and Odisha will lose, but neighbouring
stakeholders gain. This approach is useful for: (1) estimating the value of
coastal wildlife tourism where neighbouring attractions also draw tourists
to a region, (2) identifying which stakeholders to target through
conservation and management interventions.

*The paper is freely available online at:*

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0964569116300758

*Or please contact me at:*

coralie.dlima at my.jcu.edu.au or coralie.dlima at gmail.com

Warm regards,