[MARMAM] open volunteer position for large marine vertebrates survey in Berau, East Kalimantan, 3-14 October 2016

Danielle Kreb danielle.kreb1 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 23:43:15 PDT 2016

Dear all,

We have one position open for our large marine vertebrate survey in the
Marine Park of Derawan Islands, Berau, East Kalimantan. The position is for
3-14 October 2016. The program aims to protect a high diversity of large
marine vertebrates including cetaceans, turtles, whale sharks and manta
rays in the Marine Park of Derawan Archipelago, East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
 Surveys are being conducted by the local NGO Yayasan Konservasi RASI
(Conservation Foundation for Rare Aquatic Species of Indonesia) under
guidance of Dr. Danielle Kreb and Ir. Budiono. The research team involves
experienced RASI staff, as well as local and overseas (student) volunteers.
We will collect data to determine relative abundance, core area mapping,
assessing seasonal species diversity and site fidelity as well as habitat
usage of large marine vertebrates. Underwater photo-id will be taken of
whale sharks as well. Through earlier surveys it was found that the highest
relative abundance of cetaceans was within 5km radius of islands or reefs,
and therefore we also conduct coral reef monitoring at several locations by
snorkeling to asses its health. Volunteers will have the opportunity to
learn theory and practice of Reefcheck monitoring for the
Indo-Pacific.There will be an opportunity to do recreational things such as
snorkling in the stingless jelly fish lake of Kakaban  and snorkling near
Manta Rays and/or whale sharks following good practice protocols.  .

Day by day schedule, qualifications for volunteers and costs involved can
be downloaded from a flyer posted on our website at:
http://www.ykrasi.org/coastal.html or by sending an email request.

We are looking forward to your participation!

Regards, Danielle and Budiono

--------------------------
Danielle Kreb (Ph.D.)
Scientific Program Advisor
Yayasan Konservasi RASI
Rare Aquatic Species of Indonesia
Komplek Pandan Harum Indah
(Erlyza) Blok C, No. 52
Samarinda 75124
Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia
Tel/ fax: + 62.541.744874
Mobile: 081346489515
http://www.ykrasi.org
Facebook group/page: Rare Aquatic Species of Indonesia

*“To the dolphin alone, nature has given that which the best*
*philosophers seek: friendship for no advantage. Though it has no*
*need of help from any man, it is a genial friend to all and has helped
mankind.”*
*–Plutarch*