[MARMAM] Drivers for patchiness and marine vertebrate dynamics - Deadline approaching for Challenger Conference session

Peter Miller PIM at pml.ac.uk
Wed May 4 04:40:33 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM,

Final reminder for the abstract deadline approaching: Thursday 12 May 2016  (UK time GMT+1)

I would like to invite you to consider attending the Challenger Society 2016 Conference - Oceans and Climate, in Liverpool, England, 5-8th September 2016. In particular I encourage you to submit an abstract to a session linking oceanographic processes to the physical and biological patchiness that dominates the distribution and behaviour of marine mammals and other marine vertebrates.

Drivers for patchiness and marine vertebrate dynamics
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/challenger-conference-2016/abstract-submission/driversforpatchinessandmarinevertebratedynamics/<http://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eliverpool%2Eac%2Euk%2Fchallenger-conference-2016%2Fabstract-submission%2Fdriversforpatchinessandmarinevertebratedynamics%2F&urlhash=zwwr&_t=tracking_anet>
The mechanisms linking physical and biological oceanographic processes, prey dynamics and predator foraging are complex. Hotspots of pelagic animal abundance result from the patchiness of biological productivity, sparsely distributed across shelf seas and open  oceans. This session seeks to advance our understanding of the mechanisms that link the distribution and behaviour of fish and other marine vertebrates to environmental features such as fronts, eddies, upwelling and tidal mixing. To do so, we need to better  understand the oceanographic drivers of physical and biological spatial and temporal patchiness in different marine environments. This endeavour requires closer interaction between oceanographers, marine ecologists, biologists and geospatial statisticians;  and so we invite submissions that address one or more of these disciplines.

Best regards,
Peter
--
Dr Peter Miller <pim at pml.ac.uk<mailto:pim at pml.ac.uk>> http://rsg.pml.ac.uk<http://rsg.pml.ac.uk/>
Remote Sensing Group, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Prospect Place, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK.

Please visit our new website at www.pml.ac.uk and follow us on Twitter @PlymouthMarine

Winner of the Environment & Conservation category, the Charity Awards 2014.

Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales, company number 4178503. Registered Charity No. 1091222. Registered Office: Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth  PL1 3DH, UK.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses; PML accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.